Purchase Help - 4 rack vs. 6 rack

Started by abaper4, June 19, 2013, 06:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abaper4

Hello all!

Thank you all for the great advice on this forum.  I have learned alot and excited about purchase my first Bradley Digital Smoker (first smoker as well).  I am trying to decide which size would fit my needs. 

Does anyone know how many pounds of brisket could be smoked in one batch between a 4 rack vs. 6 rack smoker?  This will help give me an idea how many people could be served at the next cookout.

Thanks!
Darrin

beefmann

welcome to the forum, the amount of brisket can vary a but because of how it is  cut i have a  4 rack and have done 40 lbs  of tri tip and i believe you  can do close the same of brisket or close to it

tskeeter

If you've got the space, and money isn't an obstacle, can you ever go too big?  I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "now I wish I had gotten the smaller one" for anything except cell phones.

I got the six rack because I wanted more space to hang sausage for smoking.  One of the advantages I have found is that the six rack allows for some temperature variation between the cooler top of the cabinet and warmer area closer to heating element in the bottom.  (I don't know if this happens to the same extent in the four rack versions.)  The temp variation allows me to put smaller or thinner cuts of meat on the upper racks while the thicker cuts go closer to the heat.  Helps prevent over cooking of thinner cuts while you try to get the thick cuts fully cooked.  The temp variation is also helpful if you are trying to cold smoke in marginal ambient temperatures.  Just use the top racks to get what you are smoking into the coolest part of the smoker.   

Ketch22

Welcome to the forum  :) I have both 4 rack and a 6 rack I use the 4 rack that I got at a yard sale the most. But it is nice to have the 6rack for more room.

ketch from NJ

Habanero Smoker

If they are not too long and you don't have to bend them in a shape, you can fit about one brisket per shelf, excluding the top shelf. I'm not sure if I read any where that some one has cook/roasted more than four briskets in a 6 rack digital at the same time, or if a 500watt element could handle more than four..

The below link will show how Pachanga loads his brisket.
Brisket Pachanga

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

abaper4

Thank you all!  I think I will go with the 6 rack.  I liked tskeeter's input regarding the additional room for hanging sausage and you are right, nobody ever says they wished they went smaller.   :)