Nepa's Hillbilly Jerky

Started by Sailor, June 21, 2013, 07:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor

Rick was so kind to post his recipe in this thread http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=32597.0  So I decided to make up 5 pounds of GB jerky using his recipe.

I mixed it up last night and put it in the fridge and shot it onto the OBS racks this morning.  I made it to his recipe with a few minor changes.  I added 2 TBL of water instead of the 1 TBL and mixed in the cure to this.  Then I added the 2 TBL of soy sauce and 2 TBL of Worcestershire to the water and stirred it up.  Because I used the regular soy sauce and it had 960 mg of salt per 1 TBL I cut the salt down to 5 tsp and then stirred it in.  I used 2 tsp of cayanne instead of what he posted and added 2 tsp of crushed red pepper to the mix.  I put all of the dry mix in the wet mix and stirred it up and mixed in with the meat and hand mixed.  I used 93/7 GB for the meat and found that the mix was just about right to give me the amount of moisture to give a good mix.  Fried up a little test patty and it tasted dang good.  Wife liked it too.

Tomorrow I will do a load of LEM HOT and will compare the taste.  Will be doing some blind taste test with the neighbors to see which they like the best.

Put them in the OBS with a cabinet temp of 150 and will put 3 hrs of hickory smoke and rotate the racks every hour.  Will pull them after a 7 hour ride.

4 racks full of jerky getting smoke

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Saber 4

Your neighbors ought to be happy samplers.....

beefmann

Tenpoint5

I'm thinking the neighbors will like the home recipe better than the commercial one.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Sailor

Made up a batch of LEM HOT today.  Give my wife sample A and sample B.  She liked A best.  It was the Hillbilly Jerky.  Did the same to 3 neighbors.  All 3 liked the Hillbilly best.  So far 4 for Hillbilly and 0 for LEM.   I like the Hillbilly the best myself and I thought LEM HOT was very good.  Still have a few tests to give out this week.  Will keep you all informed.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

waterkc

Just put a batch (albs) together today. Going to run the dehydrator tomorrow, then put a little smoke on them. Can't wait to see how this turns out. I have never been disappointed with Nepas stuff.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."