My First Fatty's in the works

Started by Saber 4, June 23, 2013, 06:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saber 4

I know the jokes will flow, but what the heck! I came across some threads about fatty's and had to try one, so I picked up 2 choice chuck roasts and a family pack of choice eye of round steaks and ground it up with the old meat grinder, made oven meatloaf for Sunday dinner, rolled my first fatty and still had enough to vac-pack 5 one pounder's of ground chuck. Here's some pictures from the prep time and it's in the fridge for a smoke tomorrow.

My First attempt at the bacon weave, thanks to Habs for the great instructions on the recipe site.

I got so caught up in the act that I forgot to take a picture of the filling before I rolled it, but it has Portobello mushroom slices, Colby Jack cheese and sliced Texas 1015 yellow onion, so here's a picture of it wrapped. looks like I missed a weave in the middle but oh well...

And one last shot of it wrapped up for it's overnight in the fridge.

I'll post the required smoker and finished pictures when it's done tomorrow, time permitting....

KyNola

Looks great!  Now that you have all that ground beef just hanging around, time to do a smoked meatloaf!  Take your favorite meatloaf recipe, throw some of your favorite Rub in it and a good shot glass full of your favorite BBQ sauce in the meatloaf mix and mix.  Form into a loaf and smoke to a temp of 160 internal temp.  About 30-45 minutes prior to reaching the 160 IT, glaze the meatloaf with your BBQ sauce, maybe twice.

DONE!

Tenpoint5

Meatloaf fatty is going to be good. However when you make a sausage fatty that will just blow your mind!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Although I would love to, I can't take the credit for the Bacon Weave pictorial. Bacon Weave 101 was provided for us from OU812.

I think you did a great job weaving the bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

that looks great,,, cant wait till its done

Saber 4

It's in at 250 for 2 hours of apple, then on to an IT of about 160 combined with looks after it hits 150.  Sorry about the mis-credit Habs, I noticed after I posted that you had posted but gave OU812 the credit so many thanks to him also.

10.5 I can't wait to try a sausage fatty and the beef salami recipe I ran across somewhere here last night.

I'll post some pictures of the finished project when it's done. The wife said if everything didn't taste so darn good I'd have to start looking for a 12-step program because I'm so hooked on all these different ideas.

Saber 4

Ok guy's the final product is in and the reviews are mixed so I'm looking for any tips or suggestions or mistakes that you can see that I've made.
I put it in at 250 and smoked for 2 hours with apple, pulled it at an IT of 150, the probe was in the center in the cheese, mushroom and onion filling. I think I put to much filling and not enough GB. The flavor was great but the filling was melted down and oozing out, I may have needed to let it set longer, we were hungry so I cut it after about 4 minutes of resting. Here are the pictures for you to critique

Fresh out of the Bradley

Cut open after resting about 4 minutes

On the plate with wild rice and Brussels sprouts, you can see how much the filling has oozed in this picture.

Thanks in advance for all the input I know I'll get from everyone. :-[

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

It looks good to me, and the Brussels sprouts look just as good. As you mentioned, you may have needed a longer rest time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Saber 4

Your fatty looks excellent!

It probably would have helped had you let it rest at little longer for sure. When I do them I usually mix spices into the meat that I would use for my favorite sausage. It really perks the flavor up of the meat. I think you nailed the stuffing and bacon wrap!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes