Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MQ

Hey Folks,
     I've got a boston butt getting ready to go in the smoker.  It's sitting on the counter right now waiting for the smoker to come up to 220.  The one I chose is about 11.5 pounds and I prepped it by making an interesting looking rub...one I downloaded from the net.  My plan is to do four hours of smoke, then leave without opening the door until tomorrow afternoon.  I'd like to go do some hunting in the morning and it will be nice if I can leave it in until tomorrow about noon.  After reading everyone's posts regarding temperature, I figured if I went at the temp of 220 versus 225, that should buy me a few extra hours.  I will check it before I head out in the morning and reset the D6R for several more hours.  Here's a couple of pics of it...I'll try to post more as I go.

MQ

FLBentRider

Make sure you empty and refill the water bowl after the smoke, and again before you leave to go hunting.

You don't want a buildup of grease.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MQ

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 06, 2011, 05:21:10 PM
Make sure you empty and refill the water bowl after the smoke, and again before you leave to go hunting.

Roger that, I was just outside filling it up.  I've also got a drip pan below the meat to catch the juices.  I'll see how that works out after the smoking is done.  Also, for those that recommended to move my smoke shed away from the house, I moved it!  Just need to get up to Wally World and pick up a fire extinguisher now.

MQ

squirtthecat

Quote from: MQ on January 06, 2011, 05:35:47 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on January 06, 2011, 05:21:10 PM

Roger that, I was just outside filling it up.  I've also got a drip pan below the meat to catch the juices.  I'll see how that works out after the smoking is done.  Also, for those that recommended to move my smoke shed away from the house, I moved it!  Just need to get up to Wally World and pick up a fire extinguisher now.

MQ

Sounds like a plan.   Make sure the drip pan allows some heat/smoke to move around it, otherwise you will just add to the cooking time..

Oh, and get a 'White' fire extinguisher.  Those are kitchen safe.  (and you won't need a hazmat team to clean out your smoker if you absolutely have to use it)

OU812

You should fill that drip pan your gonna put under the butt with water, at least half way, or them drippins are gonna burn on ya.

Good luck hunting.

MQ

MQ

Yeah, I filled it halfway and went back three hours later.  It was almost empty.  I just filled it up again and added a bit more this time.  The drippings haven't really started yet, but I'm sure the moisture is helping.

OU812

Quote from: MQ on January 06, 2011, 08:23:33 PM
Yeah, I filled it halfway and went back three hours later.  It was almost empty.  I just filled it up again and added a bit more this time.  The drippings haven't really started yet, but I'm sure the moisture is helping.

OH YA thats gonna be gooood.

As long as you dont let that pan go dry your gonna be good.

Thats how i do all of my butts.

Keep us posted.

MQ

OU812

adriandb

I've got a 5-6 lbs butt I've rubbed with Mr. Brown's rub from the recipe here, and will be injecting with apple cider. At the same time I'll be doing a chicken which I will brine tonight, haven't created the rub for that one yet. I'll be serving that with a bourbon bbq sauce. Sides will likely be some mac and cheese, coleslaw and some other veggie. I'll post photos when I wake up from the food coma.

FLBentRider

Quote from: adriandb on January 28, 2011, 09:51:17 AM
I've got a 5-6 lbs butt I've rubbed with Mr. Brown's rub from the recipe here, and will be injecting with apple cider. At the same time I'll be doing a chicken which I will brine tonight, haven't created the rub for that one yet. I'll be serving that with a bourbon bbq sauce. Sides will likely be some mac and cheese, coleslaw and some other veggie. I'll post photos when I wake up from the food coma.

Make sure if you put the butt and chicken in at the same time that the chicken is below the butt in the smoker. You will be taking the chicken out much sooner than the butt, and taking the butt to a higher IT.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SoCalBuilder

I've got a couple racks of spares and a couple beef rib racks. I've never done beef, so this will be a new one. Any suggestions on treatment for the beed would be appreciated. The pork will just go nekkid I think.

I also have a small beef roast I'll throw on after the ribs and let'er go overnight for some pulled beef. This is another event for me. I think I'll just lather it up with the CYM and some rub like I would pork and see what happens.

Also have some dry cure on about 8lbs. of pork loin in the fridge. Canadian Bacon next weekend. Mmmmm ;D

adriandb

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 28, 2011, 10:13:34 AM
Make sure if you put the butt and chicken in at the same time that the chicken is below the butt in the smoker. You will be taking the chicken out much sooner than the butt, and taking the butt to a higher IT.
I'll be putting the chicken in well after the port starts. I'm thinking 10 to 12 hours on the pork.

Quarlow

I got a 14 lb turkey that will get 2 hrs of smoke and then into the BE to cook threw for a birthday lunch tomorrow for my dad and his wife. That will be for hot turkey and gravy sandwiches.
Then I have two 4 lb Pork shoulder boneless blade roasts (the canadian version of a pork butt) which will get CT sauce and Jan''s rub on one and probably the rub that RossP gave me at our get together. That will be lunch for sunday. I will put them in around 8 pm and run them through the night. I have to taste test Ross's rub cause I think it is pretty hot. Might have to just use a light touch with it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.