Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

asa...

i have no first hand expierence with pastrami other than smoking those corned beast brisket packs from the supermarket... every one i have done was freaking awesome...

i use the eye of the round for jerky because it is very lean... im thinking it may be too lean for pastrami when compared to the brisket...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

asa

owstrich -
I think the eye of rounds have been pretty freaking awesome also, as has everyone who has tried them here. I don't think they're too lean at all and  suggest giving them a try. I haven't cut my brisket yet but will try to remember to let you know the difference, if any. And if I remember correctly, Costco has their regular eye of rounds priced a little lower than their briskets (just the plain beef, not the "corned" stuff). So I might use one of them when starting from scratch.

Regards,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

whitetailfan

About 8-10 pounds of jerky both ground and whole muscle.  Coming up on two week holiday and need travel snacks ;D.  Cutting and spicing tonight, smoke tomorrow night.  Hi-Mtn Cracked Pepper N Garlic :P :P :P
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigSmoker

Is that your favorite WTF.  I have some tri-tips frozen I want to make jerky with didn't know which cure to order.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

Well my weekend smoking is done already. I started at 7 PM Friday by placing an 8 lb brisket flat, a dozen ABT's, and 4 blocks of tofu in the BS. I used oak the first two hours, then a mixture of hickory and mesquite for the last two hours, set the guru at a temperature of 200ºF for the cabinet and 180ºF for the meat. I took the tofu out at the 2 hour mark, and continued to smoke/cook the brisket and ABT's. At the 4.5 hour mark I took the ABT's out, and changed the water. I then went to bed figuring I had another 5-6 hours to go.

At 3:00 AM the guru alarm woke me up; I'm not sure how long it was beeping. I looked out the window and saw that the meat temperature indicated it was done. At 3:00 AM, there was no way I was getting dressed and dealing with that brisket. Fortunately I did two things differently for this smoke. First at the 4.5 hour mark I took the brisket out and foiled it using a combination of Old's and Cook's Illustrated techniques. Second, and most important at the time, I had the guru in Ramp mode.

For those not familiar with the guru, the Ramp mode feature brings the cabinet temperature down, as the internal meat temperature gets closer to its set temperature. This begins when the meat is within 25ºF of being done, and it will continue to lower the cabinet temperature until it reaches the meat temperature, and then hold the cabinet at that temperature.

So I went back to be for 2.5 hours. My original plan was to set the meat probe at 185ºF, in the morning, and finish it off. Since it had been holding at 180ºF for at least 2.5 hours, at 5:30 AM I took the brisket out. I then drained most of the juice and reserved it, and placed the brisket in the microwave to rest until it can be sliced. If it is not tender, I can always place it in a pan, in its own juices, and finish it off in the oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tsquared

What time is dinner, Hab? I was out camping for 3 days and when we finally broke camp and I was rolling up the tarp, I kept getting this wonderful smoky smell from it being over the fire. I kept jonesing for pulled pork or some nice brisket...
T2

Habanero Smoker

I had very little of it myself. I had to use a tremendous amount of restraint to just slice it and refrigerate it. I have to take it to a cookout, but on the other hand I probably could do another one in the meantime. :D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

oguard

Doing a brisket for dinner sunday.I am doing the flat for dinner and the point for my annual fishing trip ;D.I may also smoke some italian sausages as well.Have a good weekend guys 8).

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

manxman

Well, I have been wanting to try smoking some liver for a while to make smoked liver pate. I love pan fried lambs liver (with onion gravy, new pototoes and vegetables) liver pate etc so it seemed like a good idea at the time. This was my project last weekend.

Perhaps we should have a topic headed "Abject Failures" for people to post too, what a disaster!! :-[
If I had gone down the local harbour and collected a bucket of mud and smoked that the outcome would probably have been more pallitable!!

But did I have fun?....... you betcha! Nothing ventured nothing gained as they say, yes it was a disaster but there was no harm done. Took copious amounts of wine to wash the foul taste away tho!  ;D
Manxman

iceman

Manx, if it's any consolation I made a killer chicken liver, brandy pate awhile back and thought geez, I'll try smoking the livers next time before using them in the pate. It took more than just wine to wash that fowl taste away!!! Every time I look at Cook Inlet mud I laugh because like you said it would have been tastier than the liver. :o :D

manxman

QuoteManx, if it's any consolation I made a killer chicken liver, brandy pate awhile back and thought geez, I'll try smoking the livers next time before using them in the pate. It took more than just wine to wash that fowl taste away!!! Every time I look at Cook Inlet mud I laugh because like you said it would have been tastier than the liver.

Hahaha, thousands of miles apart and we both managed to produce the same disaster. Like you I had a some brandy (armagnac is my favourite) ready and waiting!

Perhaps we do need that "abject failures" topic heading so at least the mistakes will only be made once! ;D

My only other true disaster from a smoking point of view was olives but the smoked liver beat that hands down!! :-[ :-[ :-[
Manxman

MWS

Trying a prime rib tonight. I haven't done one in the Bradley before, but reading some of the past posts on this topic, I thought I would give it a try. The prime rib is lightly coated in cracked black tellicherry peppercorns and pink himalayan salt. I am using cherry and apple wood and plan on serving fresh from my garden green beans, nugget yukon gold potatoes, corn on the cob and a salad if my wife wants to make it. I have a pan with some apple juice under the prime rib to catch any juices. Can't wait.....getting hungry. Have a great weekend all.. ;D
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

projump

OK-------------------now I'm hungry!!! Hope it turns out great. I'm going to do pork steak and some chicken. Just got the new BS on Monday. :)   projump
When there are visible vapors in ignited carbonaceous material, there you will find parts of an omnivorous ungulate from the suidae family of mammals.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mws on July 29, 2006, 03:25:07 PM
Trying a prime rib tonight. I haven't done one in the Bradley before, but reading some of the past posts on this topic, I thought I would give it a try. The prime rib is lightly coated in cracked black tellicherry peppercorns and pink himalayan salt. I am using cherry and apple wood and plan on serving fresh from my garden green beans, nugget yukon gold potatoes, corn on the cob and a salad if my wife wants to make it. I have a pan with some apple juice under the prime rib to catch any juices. Can't wait.....getting hungry. Have a great weekend all.. ;D
The next time you but peppercorns, try India Special Extra Bold peppercorns. I believe it may be a variety of black Tellicherry, but much more pungent. That's the black pepper I am now hooked on. I know Penzy's Spices sells it. I'm not sure if anyone else sells it; at least, by that same name.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MWS

The next time you but peppercorns, try India Special Extra Bold peppercorns. I believe it may be a variety of black Tellicherry, but much more pungent. That's the black pepper I am now hooked on. I know Penzy's Spices sells it. I'm not sure if anyone else sells it; at least, by that same name.

Thanks Hab, I'll look for those for sure. I have a great Turkish pepper mill I bought a number of years ago in Seattle that I love. I have it set for a coarse grind and I also have a greek mill that I have set for the finer grind. I bought a salt mill in Port Townsend Washington last year that I use for the pink Himalayan rock salt. They are my pride and joy for the dinner table. Friends and family always comment on them. Finding and using the premium spices and salts are a real passion for me. Thanks again
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"