Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCaSmoka

Regarding tri-tip: It needs to be treated like steak.  IMHO.  The longer you cook it, the tougher it gets.

My first Bradley smoke was tri-tip (2 from Costco - about 2 lbs per).  About 6 hours in the fridge with dry rub.  2 hours of smoke at 200 deg.  Let 'em rest, covered for about 30 minutes.  Then finished them up on a smoking hot gas grill for just a couple of minutes per side for a sear (one a little longer than the other for those fearful of the color red).  15 minutes under foil and cut thin, across the grain.  Smoky. Tender.  Insanely juicy.  One medium - pink.  One perfect med-rare.  Leftovers still pink, moist, tasty eaten cold right out of the fridge as snacks for 2 days.

I didn't check temps here.  Only have one probe and it was in a piece of pig at the time. 

Tonight I'm putting some fresh (store bought) chicken andouille and caribbean sausages in the smoker and finishing them on the grill.  Just for giggles.  I mean, what's the downside?  I'm wondering if I should lightly poach them and let them dry first.  Rub with a little olive oil before smoking.

Tomorrow, smoked dry rubbed turkey breast and leg.
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

Caneyscud

Quote from: NoCaSmoka on March 21, 2009, 05:11:41 PM
Regarding tri-tip: It needs to be treated like steak.  IMHO.  The longer you cook it, the tougher it gets.

My first Bradley smoke was tri-tip (2 from Costco - about 2 lbs per).  About 6 hours in the fridge with dry rub.  2 hours of smoke at 200 deg.  Let 'em rest, covered for about 30 minutes.  Then finished them up on a smoking hot gas grill for just a couple of minutes per side for a sear (one a little longer than the other for those fearful of the color red).  15 minutes under foil and cut thin, across the grain.  Smoky. Tender.  Insanely juicy.  One medium - pink.  One perfect med-rare.  Leftovers still pink, moist, tasty eaten cold right out of the fridge as snacks for 2 days.

I'm instigating a ban.  If I can't find a tri tip around here (and I've looked everywhere) no one can say how good they are.  All that is being done is that I will get this overblown expectation of how good a tri tip will be and then I will disappointed!!!!  ;D  I wish you Cally people would let go of your lock of all the tri tips!   :'(  Do they do tri tip in San Fran?  Going there in a few months!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

WhiteSmoke

So Sorry CaneyScud

There a second class cut up here in the land of beavers and igloos.

That's a good thing.  Makes 'em cheap.  Definetly on my list of things to smoke...

Gizmo

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 21, 2009, 07:48:05 PM
Quote from: NoCaSmoka on March 21, 2009, 05:11:41 PM

I'm instigating a ban.  If I can't find a tri tip around here (and I've looked everywhere) no one can say how good they are.  All that is being done is that I will get this overblown expectation of how good a tri tip will be and then I will disappointed!!!!  ;D  I wish you Cally people would let go of your lock of all the tri tips!   :'(  Do they do tri tip in San Fran?  Going there in a few months!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'

Stopped at the grocery store the other day and they had tri-tip on sale.  I saved $31.00 on two of them. 
Was going to have them today as my son is in town.  We ended up going to my cousin's funeral instead.  Guess what they served at the reception?  Tri-Tip.   :P
Will try to get them fixed tomorrow for lunch before my son's flight back to Houston.  Tri-Tip makes great left over BBQ sandwiches as well. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 21, 2009, 07:48:05 PM

I gave up trying to find tri tip here in South Florida as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consiglieri

Unless you hit a barbeque joint, chances are that you won't see tri-tip on the restaurant's menu.  But if you're visiting friends, you can pick up a nice one at almost any grocery store (not trying to rub it in) and cook it up on his/her grill. 

FWIW, there has to be tri tip somewhere in your neck of the woods.  I remember the first time I had tri-tip.  I was surprised that we hadn't made it before.  I was told that the cut was a butcher's prize that they kept for themselves.  If you can find a butcher shop you might have better luck. 
Consiglieri

NoCaSmoka

Quote from: Gizmo on March 21, 2009, 11:10:59 PM
Stopped at the grocery store the other day and they had tri-tip on sale.  I saved $31.00 on two of them. 

Dang!  Those must have been SOME EXPENSIVE tri-tips.  :o
Chris in Pair-O'-Dice

FLBentRider

Whole chickens on sale for $0.79/lb. Eight of them just went into the OBS with Jan's rub and 3 hours of Hickory.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

WhiteSmoke

Quote from: NoCaSmoka on March 22, 2009, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: Gizmo on March 21, 2009, 11:10:59 PM

Dang!  Those must have been SOME EXPENSIVE tri-tips.  :o

I'm with you NoCa.  Save $31 on TWO????  I'd pay $7.99 lb full price.  Or just go to the local meat packers and pick up an order with a total weight more than 30 lbs and get retail wholesale at about $3.50 lb.

WhiteSmoke

Caney and FLBR,

Forget grocery stores, Costco and the like.

Do you not have a local meat packer near you?

Most city's have a few if you go lookin' and they will always be able to fix you up.  Usually at a price that meets or easily beats any retail store.

FLBentRider

The only farms near me are chicken farms for eggs. There is a local farmer, but every time I call him (usually looking for pork bellies) the answer is no.

We have orange groves, vegetable farms, sugar cane and dairy farms. There is very little meat packing done in this part of the country.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 22, 2009, 12:27:53 PM
The only farms near me are chicken farms for eggs. There is a local farmer, but every time I call him (usually looking for pork bellies) the answer is no.

We have orange groves, vegetable farms, sugar cane and dairy farms. There is very little meat packing done in this part of the country.

Come on up FLB with a freezer in the back of your truck I can get you hooked up.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

The Mrs. drives a Sprinter, we could probably get at least 4 chest freezers in there with the seats out!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Well I must fess up, it wasn't $31.00 for the two, it was only $21.10.  The $31 was the total savings at the store.  The Tri-Tip was $3.49 lb. and normaly it is $7.99.  The meat is USDA choice and was it ever so tasty.  Picked up another one today.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Giz, did you get the Harris Ranch ones? They are pricey but tasty!