Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 29, 2009, 11:08:01 AM
A buddy stopped buy to check out my Treager, so I did a quick demo with some Bacon wrapped Sea Scallops.

Probably another sale for Y&P!

Wow, those look awesome!  I wish I could eat scallops >:(

pensrock

I'll help Deb ,out and eat her portion also, those look amazing!
pens

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 30, 2009, 11:08:36 PM
Quote from: smokeitall on July 30, 2009, 06:19:48 PM
Got some Pork Bellies started curing today.  Here is a pic of the cure and the two slabs of heaven  :)

They will get about 8 days in the fridge, flipped once per day and juices re-distributed.  I will post some pics of the finished product.

I usually throw in some maple syrup but I am going to try some some plain old hickory smoked bacon this time.
SIA
Scot if my calculations are right you should be getting mighty low on your belly count. Give me a holler and I will get some ordered for you. Sounds like a road trip for you and Big JT!

Yep I will have to give JT a pound of this, I am sure he will enjoy it.  That reminds me I was going to see if the other John could get case prices for me on the pork bellies, if not a road trip up to corn country.  :)  I'll have to catch you on one of those weekends that your making them ribs  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokeitall on July 31, 2009, 04:30:04 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 30, 2009, 11:08:36 PM
Quote from: smokeitall on July 30, 2009, 06:19:48 PM
Got some Pork Bellies started curing today.  Here is a pic of the cure and the two slabs of heaven  :)

They will get about 8 days in the fridge, flipped once per day and juices re-distributed.  I will post some pics of the finished product.

I usually throw in some maple syrup but I am going to try some some plain old hickory smoked bacon this time.
SIA
Scot if my calculations are right you should be getting mighty low on your belly count. Give me a holler and I will get some ordered for you. Sounds like a road trip for you and Big JT!

Yep I will have to give JT a pound of this, I am sure he will enjoy it.  That reminds me I was going to see if the other John could get case prices for me on the pork bellies, if not a road trip up to corn country.  :)  I'll have to catch you on one of those weekends that your making them ribs  ;D

Just let me know I can put some on!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

I've got ~30Lb of pork butt in the brine - smoke this weekend.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 06, 2009, 01:54:54 PM
I've got ~30Lb of pork butt in the brine - smoke this weekend.

What brine do you use?   I'm going to try one (much smaller than that - maybe 6.5 pounds) on Saturday night-into-Sunday AM.

FLBentRider

The 30Lbs is 4 butts

for each butt:

2 qt water
12 oz pickling salt
8 oz Molasses

I bring the water to a boil, stir in the salt, then add the molasses.
I let it cool (I usually make it up at night and let it sit on the stove overnight)

In the morning I pour it in a cooler and add the butts and a few 1/2 gallon frozen milt jugs.

I brine 8-24 hours... usually around 12

After the brine, I pat dry and add rub, wrap in plastic wrap, into the fridge for overnight at least.

The rub:

for each butt:

*  1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
    * 1 teaspoon whole fennel seed
    * 1 teaspoon whole coriander
    * 1 tablespoon chili powder
    * 1 tablespoon onion powder
    * 1 tablespoon paprika

I grind the whole spices with a mortar and pestle.

Rub 'em down, wrap 'em, chill 'em.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

The butts are in!

They are getting 4 hours of Hickory.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caribou

I know it's Thursday but I'm smoking 5lbs of Nepas pepper snack sticks to send my dad for his 76th birthday.
While I'm smoking those, I'm going to can a bunch of dilly green beans.
Multitasking at its best!
Carolyn

deb415611

I used to love dilly green beans.  My mom doesn't do them anymore.  I guess I'm going to have to find some green beans.  The farm stand down the road hasn't had any yet this year. 

Caribou

Here locally it's been hit and miss on the green beans for folks, too.
We had a warm spell in early May for about a week and if you were brave enough to plant you have a ton of them.
If you waited until mid June or so they are just now starting.
I was brave(or dumb :D) enough to plant them early this year and I have tons of them.
Wish you were my neighbor Deb...I'd have you over to pick yourself some.
Carolyn

FLBentRider

I went to Sams today.

Picked up the ingredients for a Bacon Explosion.

DW has Mexican pulled beef tacos in the crock pot. (are there any kind of taco's but mexican ??)

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 15, 2009, 10:15:08 AM... (are there any kind of taco's but mexican ??)

Well, no, but we have the occasional disconnect when we ask a tourist or malahini (newbie) if they'd like some of one of our local specialties - "tako" (octopus).

deb415611

Quote from: Caribou on August 13, 2009, 09:42:20 AM
Here locally it's been hit and miss on the green beans for folks, too.
We had a warm spell in early May for about a week and if you were brave enough to plant you have a ton of them.
If you waited until mid June or so they are just now starting.
I was brave(or dumb :D) enough to plant them early this year and I have tons of them.
Wish you were my neighbor Deb...I'd have you over to pick yourself some.
Carolyn

I wish I were too  :D

Going kayaking tomorrow, going to try to remember to bring a container with me to get some bugs that live near CT water. 

FLBentRider

Quote from: Ka Honu on August 15, 2009, 11:25:20 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on August 15, 2009, 10:15:08 AM... (are there any kind of taco's but mexican ??)

Well, no, but we have the occasional disconnect when we ask a tourist or malahini (newbie) if they'd like some of one of our local specialties - "tako" (octopus).

I think that my 17YO will eat anything as long as he can smother it in hot sauce and roll it in a tortilla!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!