Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 15, 2009, 11:33:43 AMI think that my 17YO will eat anything as long as he can smother it in hot sauce and roll it in a tortilla!

Hmmm... Tako tacos - might be a little chewier than normal but might not be bad.

Caribou

Quote from: deb415611 on August 15, 2009, 11:29:02 AM
Quote from: Caribou on August 13, 2009, 09:42:20 AM
Here locally it's been hit and miss on the green beans for folks, too.
We had a warm spell in early May for about a week and if you were brave enough to plant you have a ton of them.
If you waited until mid June or so they are just now starting.
I was brave(or dumb :D) enough to plant them early this year and I have tons of them.
Wish you were my neighbor Deb...I'd have you over to pick yourself some.
Carolyn

I wish I were too  :D

Going kayaking tomorrow, going to try to remember to bring a container with me to get some bugs that live near CT water. 
Thanks Deb!
Hope you have a wonderful time!
Carolyn

Consiglieri

Hello, all.  Life has kept me away for awhile, but a college buddy is visiting this weekend and we'll be cooking up some NY steaks and shrimp.  Went searching for a Mojito Shrimp recipe here and on the recipe site.  Come to find out I posted the recipe I wanted to try in January 08; still haven't tried it.  Talk about getting ahead of yourself.  Thought I'd take the opportunity to post a hello. 

Not really a smoker recipe, but there'll be some pucks in the grill's smoker box.  Here's the Mojito Shrimp recipe:

(This recipe is attributed to Sunset Magazine; I haven't tried it yet)

Ingredients
1 to 1 1/2 lbs. peeled, deveined shrimp (21 to 30 per lb., tails on)
Mojito Marinade (recipe follows)
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Mint sprigs

Preparation
1. Prepare a gas or charcoal grill for high heat (you can hold your hand 1 to 2 in. above cooking grate only 1 to 2 seconds). Meanwhile, put shrimp in a 1-gal. resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Seal and marinate at room temperature 15 to 20 minutes.
2. Remove shrimp, reserving marinade. Thread shrimp onto 6 or 7 (10- to 14-in.) metal or bamboo skewers.

3. Arrange shrimp on grill and baste with marinade (dab some mint and shallot onto shrimp); close lid. Cook until shrimp are just beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn shrimp over, baste again, and close lid. Cook 1 to 2 minutes until browned but still moist in center (cut to check). Transfer shrimp to a platter, drizzle with lime juice, and garnish with mint sprigs.

Mojito Marinade: In a medium bowl, combine 20 chopped fresh mint leaves, 1/3 cup sugar, and 1 thinly sliced shallot. Pound with a wooden spoon to coarsely crush. Whisk in 1/3 cup light rum, 3 tbsp. fresh lime juice, 1 tbsp. vegetable oil, 1 tsp. freshly grated lime zest, and 1 tsp. coarse kosher salt. Whisk until salt dissolves. Makes about 1 cup, enough for up to 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp.
Consiglieri

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Marinated Pork Chops Jalapeno Sausage Hot doggies Boudain Lets Eat

tsquared

That looks great, Rockgriller! You must have been cooking for a crowd.I finally fired up the bradley after a whole summer of it getting lonely on the porch. I used Kummok's brine to do some pink salmon but didn't take them past 150 for temp as they  were heading for the pressure canner. I canned most of them to use for lunches and smoked salmon dips etc. although the usual shrinkage occurred while cutting the smoked fillets up! :)
We are now starting to get the "northern" or fall coho (silvers) and I needed to make some space in the freezer. If it will stop raining, I'm going to drag my fairweather partner out with me to nail a few tomorrow.
T2

Smokin Soon

Way to go Rock! That's my kind of assortment. I cook a mix like that just for the two of of us and vac seal and freeze into portions. Looks good!

classicrockgriller

OU812

Nice looking bunch of eats you got going there rock

Im kinda the same way, might as well fill the smoker even if you dont eat it all the first time.

Letfovers are some times better than when they come out the first time

mikecorn.1

Mike

FLBentRider

I've got six racks of baby backs that will be getting the cold smoke treatment.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

dieseldude

Quarlow

I plan to smoke some cheese. I was going to last weekend but need stuff to make a cold smoker. So I got a box.

Cut a bunch of holes, bought a 4" fishlock collar.

And some aluminum dryer hose. Stuck all this together and viola, temporary cold smoker.

Of course curiosity killed the cat,
and almost killed the cold smoker, cause at the point where I took the pic was the same point were the cat realized it was stuck and started to try to back out but was hooked. That is when she decided running backwards really fast would dislodge her from the box. Cats ass met OBS with a smack and everything goes flying. Once I stopped ROFLAMO, everything was put back together and all was unscathed except the cats dignity, we are ready to go. Here it is all set up.

I have 1 block of old cheddar, 2 blocks of BARI mozzarella and a block of no name mozza just to see if the price of the cheese has any difference. Also going to do 4 lbs of almonds. The cheese will be smoked with apple and the nuts with hickory. But the last time I did almonds I wish they and some kind of flavour like those BLUE DIAMOND smokehouse almonds which by the way are apparently not even smoked, just roasted with flavour. So I was thinking of smoking them and then when they are done maybe coat with a little oil and sprinkle some of that pop corn seasonings or something. Any suggestions are always appreciated.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Damn...you invented a bradley cat trap....funny story