Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

That's a nice looking setup Q.  I did some cheese last Thursday and it was difficult keeping the temp down.  So, I'm going to build me one of those.

That cat looks like our Maine Coon, Allie.  See my avatar.  She is about 16 pounds and also tends to get stuck.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

So the cheese went in.
The smoker got smokey.

And I'm not sure if this worked out well.The temp stayed below 70f, so that was good,but I couldn't see any signs of the smoke.
I saw pics of other peoples smoked chesse and you could see the lines from the racks and mine didn't do that.
The cheese definately smells smokey almost ashey. And I smoked 2hrs 40mins with apple. Also my pucks didn't burn completely.

They have always burnt up completely before, so I am thinking that cause it is not in the hot box like normal, they just won't burn right up. And this might be a good thing so that I don't get that acrid taste.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Oldman

We had one of those... use to do steaks and burgers using a grill caddy over Oak wood. Dang that was a lifetime ago. Thanks for the trip back to yesterday's memories.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

westexasmoker

Quote from: Oldman on September 20, 2009, 11:45:36 AM

We had one of those... use to do steaks and burgers using a grill caddy over Oak wood. Dang that was a lifetime ago. Thanks for the trip back to yesterday's memories.
Olds

We've still got one of those down in the den!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Quarlow

I don't know, It has to rest for 10 to 14 days, or so I am told.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

Quote from: Quarlow on September 20, 2009, 01:05:40 PM
I don't know, It has to rest for 10 to 14 days, or so I am told.
I've been told the same so it's sitting in the fridge.  I've marked my calendar.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

deb415611

If my weekend goes as planned I'm going to use my OBS.  It's been neglected lately.  My plans are two pork butts to go in tonight (to be finished in the oven).  Also going to do some cold smoking - bbq & buffalo peanuts and charcuterie's spicy almonds.  If it's cool enough when I do the cold smoking I will also throw in some cheese.

I thought I was down to cooking for two but my son has informed me that after three weeks at college he is doing the negative freshman 15 and has lost 5 pounds.  I guess I need to send some meals back to school with him..... I guess it's a food shock to go to college when your meals at home don't come out of the freezer section, cans  & boxes :D

Quarlow

I have never cold smoke nuts. I just finished 4 lbs of almonds, done at 200f for 3 hrs after salt water brining for 24 hrs. Of course they were bakers almonds so they need to dry out. I am going to put some evoo and different flavourings on the next batch after they are smoked and then dry them in the oven. How does the cold smoke work for the nuts you do?

OBS
BBQ

Up In Smoke

Don't have much going this weekend.
3 lb canadian bacon
3.5 lb pastrami
5 lb jerky (2.5 hot and 2.5 teriyaki)
4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
1 lb pepper jack cheese
and 1 lb picante sharp provolone cheese

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

classicrockgriller

That's a "full Meal Deal". Do you want to super-size that drink?
Sounds good

deb415611

Quote from: Quarlow on September 26, 2009, 06:39:26 AM
I have never cold smoke nuts. I just finished 4 lbs of almonds, done at 200f for 3 hrs after salt water brining for 24 hrs. Of course they were bakers almonds so they need to dry out. I am going to put some evoo and different flavourings on the next batch after they are smoked and then dry them in the oven. How does the cold smoke work for the nuts you do?

I didn't get the almonds done but have done before.  The recipe calls for cold smoking the almonds then tossing with the oil & spices and then into the oven.  They turn out great.   Here is where I did them awhile ago.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10050.0

The peanuts are dry roasted and I didn't think they needed heat , just need to smoke and then I figured I would throw in dehydrator if needed.  

The pork butts are in the oven and smell great this morning.

FLBentRider

I have a brisket that will be going in Saturday night for Sunday supper.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Update. I just tried my cheese and it smelt smokey but not a lot of smoke flavour. I guess I will have to smoke it longer next time or make my blocks smaller. If it wasn't for the fact that it is still cheese and no matter what it will taste like cheese, Iwould be disappointed.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Q, now that you have that extention cord thingie straighten out I'm sure your next cheese smoke will be a total success.   
I applaude you for trying.   CRG