Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Q, its always best to underdo the smoke and adjust the next time than oversmoke and possibly not like it. I do not know which wood you used but you can change that next time also.

OU812

Quote from: pensrock on October 02, 2009, 11:23:02 AM
Q, its always best to underdo the smoke and adjust the next time than oversmoke and possibly not like it. I do not know which wood you used but you can change that next time also.

I believe he used 2 hr 40 min Apple.
You would think that would give a nice smoke flavor

Quarlow

Ok boys and girls, This is a tribute to all of you because it is inspired by this and that from here and there which I picked up on here. So first I made a batch of "Jan's rub".

Then I took a pork loin roast and fileted it.

Then I hit it with the rub.

Next I mixed a stuffing made of dried apricots, raisins, pecans and Mandarin orange slices.

I threw in some wild rice, a package of dried stuffing mix and some maple syrup.

Then I spread it all out on the pork and rolled it up and then tied it up
,sort of, I think I need some practice with the tying part. I wonder if my wife wold let me practice on her tonight, OOPS did I say that outloud.
Then it was into the smoker

with the foil wrapped red bricks that I made today and we will see what happens with the old 3-2-1.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

Fired up a 7lb pork butt for next week's office cafeteria menu, and a 3.5lb sirloin tip roast to slice for sammys for me (if it works)..

Started with Iceman's rub (many many thanks for posting that!):

Barnyard buddies all slathered up  (CYM on the pork, EVOO on the beef) w/ liberal dose of rub:

Russian Blue KBG cat, standing guard:

And into the Bradley we go..  4 hours of a Pecan/Oak mix.   It's 55* out back, on the way to the 40's, so the smoke shed will earn it's keep tonight.

Will check back later, when the Maverick tells me my little bundle of beef is at 135 degrees.

Quarlow

Ok update It's been 3 hours with smoke, and I just temp probed it and it is already at 150f. doh. So I wrapped it in tin foil with a splash of AJ and back in it goes. Trouble is it's 5 o'clock and everyone is hungry. This thing is happening to fast. Help should I leave it till 170f or what.

Actually while typing this it has been 25 mins and now my temp is 160f.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on October 02, 2009, 05:25:16 PM
Ok update It's been 3 hours with smoke, and I just temp probed it and it is already at 150f. doh. So I wrapped it in tin foil with a splash of AJ and back in it goes. Trouble is it's 5 o'clock and everyone is hungry. This thing is happening to fast. Help should I leave it till 170f or what.

Actually while typing this it has been 25 mins and now my temp is 160f.

I think you are good to go now...   Slice into it and see what it looks like.

Quarlow

Ok squirt that is all I needed that puppy is coming out. Thanks for the quick response. I'll post a pic when I slice it.

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on October 02, 2009, 05:34:50 PM
Ok squirt that is all I needed that puppy is coming out. Thanks for the quick response. I'll post a pic when I slice it.

Fingers crossed...

Quarlow

Thanks Squirt you saved the day. It came out real good but was a little dry around the outer edge. But if I had left it any longer it would have dryed right out. It was very tastey but next time I will use something other than bread stuffing and I will leave out the wild rice as it did not cook well.

OBS
BBQ

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Quarlow on October 02, 2009, 07:13:40 PM
Thanks Squirt you saved the day. It came out real good but was a little dry around the outer edge. But if I had left it any longer it would have dryed right out. It was very tastey but next time I will use something other than bread stuffing and I will leave out the wild rice as it did not cook well.

I would think that if you precooked the wild rice before stuffing it would work. Might have to experiment a bit to get it done to your liking.
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Yeah thats a thought. I also would have liked the bread stuffing to be drier. But all in all it wasa good first try.

OBS
BBQ

ArnieM

That looks good Q, especially the stuffing.  Precooking the rice some would probably be a good idea.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

It was very good. I can usually judge it by my youngest daugther. If she likes it I know it was good, because she won't eat meat most of the time, and she love this. Next time I might try to change the stuffing. I'm thinking raisins and dried cranberries and maybe some vermicelli rice precooked of course with chestnuts. Damn my mouth is watering again, I better go have a slice of leftovers. ;D

OBS
BBQ

squirtthecat

The pork butt is stalled at 175..    Stubborn piggy.

Turkey roast and ham, you're up next.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on October 03, 2009, 08:04:11 AM
It was very good. I can usually judge it by my youngest daugther. If she likes it I know it was good, because she won't eat meat most of the time, and she love this. Next time I might try to change the stuffing. I'm thinking raisins and dried cranberries and maybe some vermicelli rice precooked of course with chestnuts. Damn my mouth is watering again, I better go have a slice of leftovers. ;D

How did you cut up that loin like that?