Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

Got some prep work done as well for some smoke tomorrow.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

West Coast Kansan

Actually before the ribs above get happy, I will put some smoke on these chicken legs and finish them in the oven or on the grill depending...

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Habanero Smoker

WCK;

It's good to see you posting again.

Quote from: ArnieM on October 16, 2009, 08:17:53 PM
I still haven't tried the Syracuse Salt Potatoes.  I asked my wife to pick up some Yukon Golds at the store the other day and she did.  Geez, they're almost the size of baking potatoes.  I guess I'll have to go shopping.

You have to look for the baby yukon golds. They are expensive, but worth it. I've started to see salted potato kits in the same aisle as the potatoes. The kit makes it easier, and cheaper then buying new potatoes or baby yukons, but the quality of the potato is less.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

WKC, You must have some company over. I don't think you, the Mrs, and Holly can chow that much down in 1 sitting.    :D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

:D :D :D yea giz,,, kids in town ... now live in Omaha vs Tucson.  Dont see them as much but they still like to eat  ;D

Ka Honu

close enough...

Time to do some ribs and chicken today so I put on my Bradley cap and t-shirt and got to work.  Brined the ribs last night and the chicken this morning, then prepped - CYM & some of my justly not-famous EBKS (Everything But the Kitchen Sink) rub for the ribs, a little garlic powder and pepper on the chicken .

Got everything ready to go this morning and realized I had a bit of extra rack space so made up a fatty - breakfast and Italian sausage mix, a little garlic (okay, a lot of garlic), onion, potato, sharp cheddar, crumbled bacon, some scrambled eggs, and a dash or three of EKBS. 

Then I remembered that I left my camera at a friend's house in Seattle last month and SWMBO's battery was dead (her camera's, not her "personal battery") so I skipped the photo op, rolled the fatty, and put it in the fridge to "set up" for a while.  Also put the battery on the charger.

Racked it up (finally, a photo)...

... preheated the OBS, and put in at about noon for 2 hours of Jim Beam bisquettes at about 225o (I hope).  I can't drink bourbon but have no aversion to cooking or smoking with it - no worries on the chicken or ribs but kinda wonder how the fatty will fare. 

Couldn't help but notice how much nicer a couple of JT's "robo-pucks" would have classed up my act but had to settle for my old standby "bubbas."

Put a temp probe in the fatty - don't use one for the ribs and I planned to take the chicken off in 2 hours and finish in The Big Easy (will insert probe then).

Well that was a near disaster! After 2 hours I took out the fatty (IT 150o) and the chicken and damned if I didn't drop the rack on the counter and get to watch the fatty jump right off and burst!  Put the fatty-like substance in the oven to finish; it was ugly, but tasted great.  Too embarrassed for a photo of the entire mess but took one of the "leftovers" which doesn't look nearly as bad as the part we ate.

Anyway, cleaned that up, boated the ribs (in the oven for 2 hours) with a bit of apple juice (followed by 2 hours of FTC), and got chicken ready for TBE.  Brought it up to an IT of 165 (thigh) which crisped the skin very nicely, thank you.

Final product was awesome, especially with corn and cowgirl's Chipotle cole slaw. This is SWMBO's plate (as you should be able to tell by the small portions).

Today's lessons (nothing new, but reinforced):

1.  Smoke more often so you don't have to relearn everything every time.
       2.  Use both hands to hold racks full of food.
       3.  Beer between "phases" is a good thing.
       4.  Too much beer between "phases" is a bad thing.
       5.  "Too much beer" is an oxymoron.
       6.  Use the "buddy system" when smoking.  That way you have someone to bring the beer and take the blame.
       7.  The smoker owner gets whatever credit is due.
       8.  Don't sweat the small stuff (and it's all small stuff).

Aloha and good night!

Savannahsmoker

Looks good Ka Honu. How do you like the smoker.  I am looking at a closed system and thinking about Fast Eddie FE100.

Smokin Soon

Why a pellet smoker Sav? It will be like having 2 Treagers. The Bradley smoke is much more intense than the pellets.

ArnieM

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread.  I'm starting to look around for an alternative to my OBS.  Things keep cracking.  Bradley service is great but this is turning into a DIY replacement part smoker.  Fast Eddie is out of the question, $$$.  Any other other recommendations at a decent price point?

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

I'm not a lot of help when it comes to "other than Bradley" smoker recommendations.  I've only had one minor problem which Brian sorted out immediately and have absolutely no reason to look at another smoker.  SWMBO occasionally (and wrongfully) accuses me of being more committed to my OBS and TBE than I am to her.  I, of course, deny it vociferously.  That's my story, it's a good story, and I'm sticking to it.

Savannahsmoker

Smokin Soon is Bradley allowed in major competitions?

Caneyscud

No.  The heat is generated by electricity and not by wood.

The FEC100 is a heck of a machine and has been garnering a lot of wins.  But too steep for my blood for just a smoker with a somewhat limited capacity.  The 100 means it will hold 100 pounds of meat. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mrdennisg

Last Month over Halloween weekend Smoked aprox 23 lb.Salmon caught in the Cowlitz River .
Neighbor gave me all this Salmon to repair his roof...

in Brine

Drying

Tastes Great

Also 2 Butts .

Bacon above

Today Nov 5th put 2 more Butts in rubbed each with dry rub picked up at Safeway.

FLBentRider

I'm going to Sams to get a Brisket or a Pork butt for Sunday's football game.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

3rensho

Sliced up a kg of Bresaola today and got it vacuumed and in the freezer and took 2.5 kg of Guanciale out of the cure and it is hanging on meat hooks in the cellar.  Should be ready in 6-8 weeks.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.