Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: 3rensho on November 14, 2009, 09:32:59 AM
Sliced up a kg of Bresaola today and got it vacuumed and in the freezer and took 2.5 kg of Guanciale out of the cure and it is hanging on meat hooks in the cellar.  Should be ready in 6-8 weeks.

What is that?

sterlingpriceporker

I'm doing my first turkey. check the line under poltry "first turkey for the brine and rub info.
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 14, 2009, 09:34:33 AM
Quote from: 3rensho on November 14, 2009, 09:32:59 AM
Sliced up a kg of Bresaola today and got it vacuumed and in the freezer and took 2.5 kg of Guanciale out of the cure and it is hanging on meat hooks in the cellar.  Should be ready in 6-8 weeks.

What is that?

Bresaola is cure dried beef (usually eye of round) that is then air dried. I just applied my second application of dry cure and have to cure for another week before I can begin to dry cure it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I just put 3 racks of Mooink balls in with 1 hour of JB pucks.

We have a food thing @ my office tomorrow.

It's getting them on the bicycle that will be the tough part.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 19, 2009, 04:49:57 PM... It's getting them on the bicycle that will be the tough part.

Get a bicycle trailer so you can take your smoker, grill, or whatever with you and cook on site (one of my best work-avoidance ploys from the days when I actually had a job).

Habanero Smoker

Smoked some cow's tongue. I prepped them two different ways. I smoked one with the skin on, and one with the skin removed after parboiling it for 20 minutes. I tried to skin it without parboiling but I wasn't having much success. Even watched a YouTube video on peeling a cow tongue. The man made it seem simple, but believe me it is not.

The one with the skin removed was brined for 5 days (prior to parboiling), and the one with the skin on was brine cured for  5 days. Using a cabinet temperature of 200°F, and applying 4 hours of hickory, I cooked the skinned one until fork tender. That is the fork can be easily inserted and remove without resistance or little resistance. The internal temperature was 175°F, so I inserted a thermometer in the second one and took it out when it reached that same temperature. After the second one cooled enough to be handled I removed the skin.

I was pleased with my initial taste, but could have used more smoke flavor. Later today I will eat some cold, and see if there is any improvement in flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

KevinG

I don't think I want to taste anything that can taste me back. :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

Beef tongue is very good. I forgot how rich it was. I've only had it braised, until I smoked those. I was it Shop-Rite today and they had cow's heart, but it was cut up in cubes. I'm making a cream horseradish sauce, and I'm going to serve the tongue on crackers with some sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 07, 2009, 01:40:32 PM
Beef tongue is very good. I forgot how rich it was. I've only had it braised, until I smoked those. I was it Shop-Rite today and they had cow's heart, but it was cut up in cubes. I'm making a cream horseradish sauce, and I'm going to serve the tongue on crackers with some sauce.

Habs after you have the heart and tongue sliced thin you need to pickle them. Pickled heart and tongue just can't be beat in my world!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

That does sound good. I may try that. Now I'm thinking I need to go back to the store and pick up some heart meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

I believe Carolyn made some pickled deer heart that turned out pretty good! Will have to get her to post the recipe. then just add the tongue to the pickle.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

I've had deer heart and it was excellent. Never thought I'd like that, but very glad I tried it.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

wyogoob

I love beef tongue.

And I always save the tongues off of elk and deer.

pickled elk tongue:

with some cheese spread:

This week I'm doing Canadian Bacon and trying, for the first time, Irish Bacon.
Life's been good to me so far.

Habanero Smoker

When I get a chance I'll post some pictures that I took when preparing the tongues.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

QuoteSmoked some cow's tongue. I prepped them two different ways.

Any preference as to which method you would recommend Habs? Got a friend picking me up some tongue and tail over the Christmas period.  :)
Manxman