Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I'll write something up, and post it this evening. I meant to post pictures this morning, but didn't get around to it. For the brining technique I use the brine recipe in "The River Cottage Meat Book". I know you have that book, and he has a recipe for Salt Beef (and Pickled Tongue) page 438; I just recommend that you don't soak it for 24 hours after brining. I feel that soak time was too long, and drew out too much flavor with the salt. For the tongue with out the cure, I substituted small amount of additional salt in place of the cure (I used Cure #1 as the recipe calls for saltpeter).

I preferred the tongue that I used the curing salt with. Not only was the flavor better to my liking, but the color was much more pleasant. When I post the pictures you will see the difference. If you have the patience, peeling the skin off a "fresh" tongue will give you better smoke flavor.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I've got six racks of baby backs that just went in for about an hour and change of cold smoke.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

Well I got tell ya all the truth....

The Best Smokin' I've ever done is the wife! Oh and that puddle of goo in the corner is me when she is finished.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

FLBentRider

Quote from: Oldman on December 22, 2009, 07:10:58 AM
Well I got tell ya all the truth....

The Best Smokin' I've ever done is the wife! Oh and that puddle of goo in the corner is me when she is finished.

You GO Raye!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

So the Wife says "How about some pulled pork this weekend?"

Who am I to say no.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

Saturday:

Geocaching in the Morning with the kids, Mooink balls in the afternoon

Put Sundays butts in after supper.

Pictures to follow.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hoss

Just tossed in a butt!

Slapped it good before slathering it up 8)
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

FLBentRider

Moooinks are done.

Butts are in.

Slapped them good I did.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

I'm doing kielbasa today, will post a couple pics under 'sausage' later. Did not get any pics before stuffing.
They finally had a sale on brisket yesterday, $2.49/lb, yes around here that is the sale price.  :D
I planned to pick up four and freeze two but have not gotten and checks from unemployment since I got laid off just before Xmas.  >:(
So I only bought two, will be doing them tomorrow, I hope.  :)

deb415611

Told myself I was going to work all day, of course nothing ever goes as planned ??? ???

Decided to go nuts instead - have some care packages to do :)

Started with this pile:

the planters are 3 1/2 lb cans , the almonds 3 lb and pecans 2 lb

One can of planters split in 1/2 -   1/2 Franks hot sauce the other 1/2 Stubbs Spicy BBQ sauce

3lbs of almonds going in to smoke to become Charcuterie's Spicy Smoked Almonds (spices get added after smoking)

I piled all three lbs onto one rack, they are divided by a high temp screen to let a little smoke through - they probably didn't get as much smoke as if I had thinned them out more,  I think I need more racks :D

More to come throughout the week.  Need to figure out what I'm doing with the rest. More Spicy Almonds though, I love those. 

idahofirefighter

Well just got up and am going to get my new smoker and weather proof cover finished so i can do my first smoke in the bs.
thanks TAZ

Quarlow

Quote from: deb415611 on January 17, 2010, 01:11:31 PM
Told myself I was going to work all day, of course nothing ever goes as planned ??? ???

I piled all three lbs onto one rack, they are divided by a high temp screen to let a little smoke through - they probably didn't get as much smoke as if I had thinned them out more,  I think I need more racks :D

More to come throughout the week.  Need to figure out what I'm doing with the rest. More Spicy Almonds though, I love those. 
Deb, I just put 1 layer of cheese cloth on my racks to keep them falling threw and single layers. The smoke passes through the cloth and everything gets nice and smoky.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

deb415611

Quote from: Quarlow on January 22, 2010, 07:30:19 AM

Deb, I just put 1 layer of cheese cloth on my racks to keep them falling threw and single layers. The smoke passes through the cloth and everything gets nice and smoky.

the foil was only on the sides but I don't think it was a good idea, not smoky enough.  I tried to put too many on a rack.    I still have a bunch to do.  It will be this weekend's project ;D.  I need to buy one of JT's rack kits.

oakville smoker

Gonan crank some ribs in Bessie this weekend
Stillneed to hit the store and buy some so they can get happy in rub over night
Pork butts are still cheap here ( 79 # ) so I will pick up a couple and cube in anticipation of my new stuffer arriving soon
I am thinking I will freeze "post cube" and I wont have to do that work when it comes time to make salami 
Sunday will be a flattened chicken in the smoker
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Quarlow

I need to buy one of JT's rack kits.

Yeah for doing nuts(and lots of things) it sure would be good to have more racks.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.