Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

(Continueed...  deserves its own post)

Next weekend is going to be busy again.  on the plan is

1) S&S Not Your Momm'a Meatloaf on Friday or Sunday.
2) Grilled Pizza the other day (not smoked, other than the bacon)
3) Whole Chicken for shreading for other meal (Green Chile Chicken Echiladas)
4) Some more cold-smoked bacon
5) Boston Butt for shreading to save for Myrtle Beach trip in the end of June
6) Cold-Smoked Feta Chicken Burgers for grill'n during the week.

Busy weekend heading...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

oguard

I did some bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breasts :P last night and today it is two pork shoulders

Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

tsquared

Well, I didn't smoke anything on the long weekend but I did serve some pulled pork to about 40 people that I had smoked and frozen the previous weekend. One of them was one of the food writers for the Vancouver Sun and she sought me out to find out how I had done it. DING DING! That made me feel alright. Couldn't have done it without the advice found here...
T2

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

begolf25

Gettin ready to fill the BS up with baby backs.  A couple racks for this weekend and a couple to vac seal for down the road. Have a great weekend everybody!

jaeger

Here are some pictures of the 9# of Chicken Hindqts that I smoked tonight. I seasoned a couple different rubs and smoked 2 1/2 hours with alder wood. Total smoker time was 4.5 hours with temp cranked on high. Taste great! This was worth the 3 bucks that the hindqts cost for sure! :o

tsquared

Looks good, Jaeger man! Haven't done chicken for awhile but that is an inspiring photo! Hope you gusy are enjoying your long weekend.
T2

Oldman

QuoteWell, I didn't smoke anything on the long weekend but I did serve some pulled pork to about 40 people that I had smoked and frozen the previous weekend. One of them was one of the food writers for the Vancouver Sun and she sought me out to find out how I had done it. DING DING! That made me feel alright. Couldn't have done it without the advice found here...
T2

T2 tell us what you did please.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

The butcher had brisket on special offer on Saturday. It was also a holiday weekend (Bank Holiday) this side of the pond so did the smoking yesterday.

Left the brisket overnight in apple juice with a dash of lime juice. Just used freshly ground sea salt and black pepper as a rub together with a little garlic powder, smoked with 4 hours alder then cooked to 185F internal, FTC'ed for a couple of hours then put it in the fridge. Will let it sit for 24-48 hours before using.

There is a lot of motorcycle racing going on over the next few days over here, although I am not a "biker" I will be out and about watching it most days or evenings hence needed something for my samdwiches. Brisket should fit the bill nicely! :P
Manxman

MRH

I did 8 lbs of country style ribs yeserday.  Coated them with cym the night before then put on a rub let them set in the fridge overnight.   I had them in the Bradley for 9.5 hours until they hit 185 internal temp then FTC'd for 1 .75 hours. the bigger ones were pretty good but the smaller ones were a bit dry.   Maybe I should have cooked them a little less.  Still have 3 left to try tonight.
I think I need some more practice yet ;D
Mark

asa

Quote from: MRH on May 30, 2006, 01:02:10 PM
I did 8 lbs of country style ribs yeserday.  Coated them with cym the night before then put on a rub let them set in the fridge overnight.   I had them in the Bradley for 9.5 hours until they hit 185 internal temp then FTC'd for 1 .75 hours. the bigger ones were pretty good but the smaller ones were a bit dry.   Maybe I should have cooked them a little less.  Still have 3 left to try tonight.  I think I need some more practice yet ;D  Mark 

MRH:
My guess is that if your probe was in one of the larger pieces, then the smaller ones may have gone far above 185 and overcooked. As has been pointed out by others here, pork is nicely cooked by 160 degrees, and holding it at 165-170 for a number of hours is a good way to break down the connective tissue. Taking it to over 185 for a long period of time risks that drying out process, especially if it is not wrapped and basted. When that happens, you can chop everything, mixing the drier pieces in with the others along with your sauce, and come out with a satisfactory combination, even though some pieces may have overcooked. Good luck on the next batch. Ain't this kind of experimenting fun?

Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: MRH on May 30, 2006, 01:02:10 PM
I did 8 lbs of country style ribs yeserday.  Coated them with cym the night before then put on a rub let them set in the fridge overnight.   I had them in the Bradley for 9.5 hours until they hit 185 internal temp then FTC'd for 1 .75 hours. the bigger ones were pretty good but the smaller ones were a bit dry.   Maybe I should have cooked them a little less.  Still have 3 left to try tonight.
I think I need some more practice yet ;D
Mark
I'm not a rib person, but glad you enjoyed them. As others have mentioned in different threads, when you FTC them add a splash of apple juice, or chicken broth or beer other liquid of your choice. The meat will absorb the liquid. When you cook different sizes of the same cut of meat, and leave them in for the same amount of time, the smaller pieces will dry out. You have to remember to remove the smaller pieces from the smoker earlier, and let the larger pieces cook longer. When I smoke cuts that are different sizes I try to sort them by size the best I can. It makes it easier to remove them from the smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MRH

Thanks guys,  I did do the apple juice before ftc too.  But I tend to think I just over cooked them like asa said.  I have some more in the freezer to try some day so I will get it sooner or later!!

MRH

tsquared

QuoteT2 tell us what you did please.
For the pulled pork I did about 13 lbs, brought up to room temp while box was heating, rubbed with cheap yellow mustard, and then sprinkled on a rub that I made called "Bob's Rub" from BBQ Secrets, Ron Shewchuck's book.
Rub is as follows,
1c white sugar
1/4 c celery salt
1/4 c garlic salt (i used granulated garlic)
1/4 c onion salt
1/4 Lawry's season salt
1/3 c chili powder
1/3 c black pepper
1/3 c paprika
2 tsp heated and ground cumin
2 tsp cayenne

Into the smoker at 205 and did the usual. It took 25 hours to get to 185. During the last hour i open it up and spray the butts with a mixture of bourbon, apple juice and maple syrup(I'm a Canucklehead, eh!)
More of the same spray liberally applied as I'm wrapping it up in FTC for a couple of hours.
I served it with a Kansas city style tomato based bbq sauce. Big hit, it all vanished and there was LOTS of other food to choose from. (This was a potluck deal)

It's all standard stuff to the folks here but, as you guys know, it's sure a big hit with the non-smoking crowd.
T2

Oldman

T2,
Thanks!

I have copied all information and place it in the open forum--recipe site. When I get time I will code it and place it all into the correct catagory.  I also found the original Remus's Kansas City Classic Sauce recipe and have added that info as well.

Here is the Link to the information I will be using.
Olds