Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcs_n_Sparks

I was wondering if you were close enough where I could help  :D :D :D

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

combined long post and i still gotta modify it and i aint lickered up either...

im in hillsboro or for 12 days... i have not smoked since april... this weekend is my only chance to smoke until august...

i went to winco foods and got a 8lb giant terkey 0 with ribb bones... my wench digs the smoked terkey 0... i also got 2 7lb bovine brisket flatts and two 4lb porcine tenderloins... all of which are rubbed and fridged...

i also got 12lbs of the eye of the bovine round for jereky...

no more wendys and carls jr for a while...

my new set up for this place uses their existing mini range hood... its a direct vent ourdoors...

i can take a photo werth a crap... this one may make you dizzy...

bovine briskets in tonight... today 16lbs total 8 terkey 8 porcine loin... started out 45 deg meat in 100 deg box... 200 deg box for 3 hours 225 deg box for 1 hour (im trying to avoid rubber terkey sken with higher box temp towards the end)... porcine loin out in 4 hrs at 150 internal... terkey still in only 145 internal...

here are the porcine loins ready to go into the ftc... that ftc really freaks me out...

loins out of 4 hour ftc... dang its just like i remembered...

i know to some terkey ftc is a no no... this one has juices running out... its going into a 1 hour ftc... it took an additional 2.5 hours after the porcine loins came out.to go from 145 internal to 160 internal... 1.5 hours at 200 deg then 1 hour at 225 deg... its a skin experiment thing...

here is the terkey out of ftc... it is very tasty and juicy... had to rip the rubber skin off though...

you gotta eat...

ans...

so i have a long day and im checking in... i made my reservations a month ago... this place is $150 a night... being poor i used points that i have accumulated... you know... an elite platinum frequent stayer... or i would be at the hotel 6...

i walk in and the lady says hi mr owrstrich... here is $25... we dont have any smoking rooms available for you... as i stood there in complete disbelief... and not saying anything... she said is there a problem...

still with me not saying a word she said its ok for you to smoke in the room because its not your fault... then she said she wanted the $25 back if i were going to smoke in the room... i told her i was going to smoke in the room... im going to dehydrate 12 pounds of jerky and do 2 smokes consisting of about 30lbs of meat in her no smoking room...

she said go ahead and keep the $25 and bring her some smoked beast... i agreeed and then went to winco to get the beast... i sliced her a whole porcine loin and will slice her a half of a bovine brisket tomorrow and throw in some sliced terkey too... just for the he11 of it...

if you still feel we have too much beast for just me and the wench till june 26th... we are just up the 5 a piece... he he he...

here are the briskets... they were 7 punders 18 hours ago... now they are... not quite 7 pounds anymore but they look like what a brisket fiend needs to get well...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

asa

Quote from: whitetailfan on June 16, 2006, 02:04:29 PM
Pork shoulder to be weighed tonight for timing.  Rub overnight on into the smoker she goes.  Food, friends, and game 6 Saturday.  Leftovers, more beer and the US Open on Sunday.
Congratulations WTF on an impressive win. Guess we'll have to watch game 7. Hope your party was as successful as I imagine it must have been.

Best regards,

Art in the heart of Carolina
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Play old-time music - it's better than it sounds!
     And
Please Note: The cook is not responsible for dog hair in the food!!

whitetailfan

Quote from: asa on June 17, 2006, 08:22:28 PM
Quote from: whitetailfan on June 16, 2006, 02:04:29 PM
Pork shoulder to be weighed tonight for timing.  Rub overnight on into the smoker she goes.  Food, friends, and game 6 Saturday.  Leftovers, more beer and the US Open on Sunday.
Congratulations WTF on an impressive win. Guess we'll have to watch game 7. Hope your party was as successful as I imagine it must have been.

Best regards,

Art in the heart of Carolina
Art,
It was a great night.  Butt took my timing right to the limit, but I shot myself in the foot by throwing baked taters on the bottom rack.  Shot my cabinet temp big time, cost me about 6 degrees int temp on the butt and ramped up the cooking time.  I shot up the temp slide and it all worked out in the end.

I'm more of a Calgary fan than Edmonton, but what the heck, its all in Alberta.  No 8th seed ever got so far, its an underdog kind of thing.

Never figured a game 7 after the first 4.  Just wanted to get back to Canada for 6 so I could hear the anthems!  Very moving!

Good luck tonight, catch you later
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

asa

Sir WhiteTail:
And good luck to you also. (Actually, if I really meant it I should say "break a leg," but I'll respond in kind to your friendly salutation). If it was college basketball, I'd probably actually care. But anyway, may the best team win tonight. I frequently root for the underdog, so you've given me a new outlook on the match. 

Glad the smoked stuff turned out well for your party. But, you have to tell us how you do the potatoes and how they turn out. Are they prebaked and then smoked, or smoked from scratch for the whole time, or just baked after the BS gets up to temp and after the main smoking is over?

(And I love your new addition, 3rd line, to your signature - I'm tempted to steal it for the office)

Regards,
     Art
Enjoy good Southern-style smoked barbecue -- it's not just for breakfast anymore!
     And

whitetailfan

Art,
The spuds are cooked totally in the smoker.  2-3 hours will get them.  I did these for 2 but they were extra thick and had to be nuked for a couple min to finish them off.  I don't like taters too much, and never eat the skin on a baker, so I'm a bad guy to ask.  However the rest of the free world seems to like them, so I try.  Wife and guests like em so I'll keep cooking.

Actually it was MallardWacker that turned me on to these.  Rub them with some olive oil and sprinkle rub on the outside.  Put a couple pucks on, or there is also some flavour left over from the smoke of the meat that enhances the potato.  Cook till finished.  These ones the Mrs put together some garlic powder, pepper, and pickling (large) salt and rolled the potato in the mix.

This is post game time so congrats on the Cup.

Also I paraphrased that line from someone on another forum, so feel free to borrow it.
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

tsquared

Never figured a game 7 after the first 4.  Just wanted to get back to Canada for 6 so I could hear the anthems!  Very moving!
I enjoyed seeing and hearing those Edmonton fans sing BOTH national anthems at the top of their lungs. They have a lot more class than the  fans out here in BC who booed the 'merican anthem  during the world Junior games. I liked seeing that Carolina fan with the "Redneck hockey" sign. :D Somethings are so weird ya gotta love em.
T2

asa

Well, Whitetail, your boys skated/played well and all of Canada should be proud of what they accomplished. I have the feeling if it had been best of 9, 11, 13 or more it still would have gone down to the last match. I talked to a friend today who was there and he said it was a fantastic experience, and nothing like watching it on TV. Still, having grown up in Pittsburgh, PA, I have the feeling it is sacrilegious for a team from below the Mason-Dixon line to be playing professional hockey, let alone win the cup.

Thanks for the potato info. I am a fan - it is perhaps my favorite veggie. If you've never had them, I suggest you keep an open mind until you've tasted new potatoes freshly picked from the garden. The difference between them and store-boughts is the same as the difference between being at a hockey match and watching it on TV. If I'm interpreting correctly what you implied, you put them in after or toward the end of your smoking time, and then cook for a couple of hours while the meats are coming up to final temp. I'll give 'em a try the next time I smoke, which may be several weeks from now.

Regards,
     Art
     And

whitetailfan

Quote from: asa on June 20, 2006, 06:33:24 PM
If I'm interpreting correctly what you implied, you put them in after or toward the end of your smoking time, and then cook for a couple of hours while the meats are coming up to final temp.
Correctomondo

icerat4

Just another weekend with the smoker...

asa

Quote from: whitetailfan on June 19, 2006, 09:12:09 PMThis is post game time so congrats on the Cup.

To paraphrase a local wag yesterday, our Canadians were just a tad bit better than your Canadians over 7 games.  That seemed to put it into the correct perspective for me.

Art
     And

gotbbq

Planning a cold smoke.  Got a great piece of ahi tuna from the local fish monger.  Prep on friday-sat, smoke sunday. :)  It vacuums and freezes great.

gotbbq

still smokin

I've got 2 briskets curing for Montreal smoked meat,for Sundays smoke.I also have a shoulder curing to make cajun tasso,which I'll smoke tomorrow.I slice the tasso up and serve with cheese and crackers. Oh and of course a couple of cold beers  ;)  John

Oldman

Well it is not the weekend, but Monday around 11 pm I will put on two briskets.  I figure around 3-4 pm Tues they will be ready for the 4th of July get-er-down-eatin'.

Lots of folks, shrimp cocktail, brisket, cold beer, soda, my beans, a vegtable salad & something sweet.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

asa

Last night and today it is a couple of butts, a rack of spare ribs, and a cured brisket for pastrami (with a rub I put together using black pepper, dry mustard, ground coriander, and garlic powder).

And here's a report from the past couple of weekends of smokin'. We're just back from a few days at the beach with some friends. Thanks to the BS and the help I've received from all of you folks on the forum, I was able to take the following homemade products to share:  hillbilly bacon, Canadian bacon, pastrami, chopped pork, and baby back ribs. It was a hoot to see people reeealy enjoying all of these.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've gotten into the wonderful world of curing. Started with what I think Arcs reported on back in January - that is, getting a store-bought "corned beef" (ie., pre-cured piece of beef) and smoking it instead of simmering for 3 hours. These have been spectacular. I had seen these "corned" briskets at our local store, but when I got my first one went to another branch of the same store across town and found they had the same brand but only eye of round pieces in the packages. After smoking a couple of these and finding them tasty and tender, I then started to check the commercial pastrami in the deli sections of markets. So far, all have been "beef round" or "eye of round." I'm doing a commercially cured brisket today from my local store to compare, but I'm wondering about others' experiences and preferences. Everything I've read so far here and elsewhere on the net seems to use the brisket, but have you considered the round? And if so, and you prefer the brisket to the round for pastrami, why?

Thanks again to all for your insights,
     Art
     And