Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo, your a 6R digital right?  How are the temps doing?  Are you doing a hot or cold smoke on the belly?  How long / temp? I would like to do a 'real old fashioned' cold smoke on bacon but the temps get higher than I like.  = generator is down now but thats another story.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Gizmo

Yes on the 6R Dig.  Haven't started the smoke yet, need to get the cure first.  Would like to do a cold smoke but will need to manufacture an offset to keep the heat out.  Just finished the pancetta and prosciutto (called it capicola previously).  The temps did get higher than I had hoped even though it was cool outside.  I opened the door between puck drops to release heat.  Looks like a section of aluminum dryer vent will have to come into play.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

boxertrio

--"Fight back! Whenever you are offered violence, fight back! The aggressor does not fear the law, so he must be taught to fear you. Whatever the risk, and at whatever the cost, fight back!" -- Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper; USMC

Gizmo

Works for me.
Thanks,
I saw a post and picture on another setup.  Used what I recognized as dry dog food storage container (works well for keeping the ants out of the dog food) for the interface.  Did you line the box or just tape up the open end to keep the smoke flowing into the BS?

Habanero Smoker

Gizmo,

If you have the digital model you can't set it up that way; unless you have an extended cord that connects the digital generator to the cabinet.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

West Coast Kansan

Gizmo, I will bring the cord i made to seperate the digital generator from the tower to b'fast on Saturday.  Radio Shack 273-1740 Power Cord with two 273-1716 Radio Shack Adaptaplugs, Type M.  I have no tried it yet cause the generator is down but should work.  I would like to try it before i recommend it but i think you have some bacon curing for a cold smoke.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

Gizmo

Thanks Habs, I remember seeing that "Gotcha" note and needed the reminder.

WCK, Thanks, I will definately test it out.

The pork belly is in the fridge in the garage.  I like that fridge more now than when it was the main or only one.  It has temp controlled drawers (with digital readout) for meat, citrus, vegtables.  Pressed one of the buttons and the set temperature showed 38 Deg.  Just what the cure ordered.  Took the 15# and cut it into 1/5 pieces.  Have two curing and vacpac'd 3 for freezing.  Thought I'd only risk a screw up 2/5 of the $45 on the first attempt.  The original slab took up the whole cutting board (Epicurean 15x20).

BTW, the smoke on the proscuitto was excellent.  Took it in to work and gave it to the chef.  He sliced off a few and tossed them up on the grill with some bread, deli ham, onions, tomatoes and provalone.  Grilled to perfection and very tasty.  Thought the ham would over power the proscuitto, but was not the case.  The smoke flavor (apple) came out just right.  I made some deli slices myself at home the next day.  Diced it up, tossed in some diced fire roasted green chillis scrambled with eggs.  Very tasty in deed.  Called it "Mexitali Scrambled".  Next will be to add some onions, sausage, jalepenos, cerranos, ... you get the picture. ;)

jimguy

I am smoking a boneless leg of lamb tomorrow using the recipe car54 posted. Wife has been wanting to try that for some time. It is marinating today.

Vampyr

Smokin a chicken using Iceman's brine recipe.  Hope it turns out ok cuz its like 10 degrees outside.

Gizmo

Removed the smoke gen and mated it to a box.  Aluminum dryer tube from box to Bradley Box.  Connected the radio shack adapt all cord (thanks for the part numbers West Coast).  Got the smoke rollin' on 10 bacon wrapped scallops.  Puttin 20 minute smoke of oak on them for the test.  I'll finish them off on the grill.  Want to make sure the setup will work for the pork bellys curing.

Gizmo

Cold Smoke setup worked great.  No change in temp inside the bradley box.  For a quick setup, I was surprise I didn't see a whisp of smoke anywhere except what came out the top vent.  Would have thought I'd lined all the plumbing with Owrstrich's JB Weld.
By the way, the scallops were fantastic.  Came out of the smoker with out changing temperature.  Dash of lemon pepper, spritz of lemon, extremely light sprinkle of sea salt and tossed into the pan the bacon was precooked in (after reheating the pan and draining all the extra bacon fat out of the pan.  The 20 minute smoke was perfect, great flavor on the scallops and the bacon.  They were melting in the mouth tender.  My wife claimed they were the best I ever made.  As they say, happy wife, happy life. ;D

West Coast Kansan

Smoked scallops and oysters make the weekend complete.  Gizmo, great to meet you and others on Saturday.  Happy the power cord worked out...

Gizmo

It was a great meeting and a good recommendations for others out there to get out and meet your fellow smokers.  I look forward to getting together with you for a home style smoke out and toss a few back.  OWRSTRICH is definatley a character and was a pleasure to meet you and your wife.  Sure wish you were hanging out in SOCAL a while longer to catch a future smoke out.  You'll have to let me and WCK know the next time your out in the area collecting prints. ;D

MWS

I smoking a chuck roast using oakwood and I'll finish it as a pot roast for dinner tonight. As you can tell, it's snowing and blowing here, I may have to construct a lean-to for the Bradley. My wife thinks I'm nuts...... ::)

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

West Coast Kansan

Somethng about that Bradley smoking on the front step with the snowflakes falling that brings out the holiday spirit.