Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChubbyBadnews

Ribs were okay. Unfortunately I forgot to change the water bowl in my BDS(Doh!!!!!!!!). Only realised when it was too late. Ribs were still lovely but had dried out just a little.

The bbq beef brisket won hands down!!

All in all a great day of food, family, few beers and some great movies,
All hail the pig... hom nom nom

garyhaupt

My Sunday...3 nice fat sockeye...brined overnight and as of noon..in the box.

Gary Haupt

LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

beefmann

Saber 4

Quote from: beefmann on November 01, 2013, 06:57:00 PM
its a  great thread and  who's doing what

If the weather cooperates I've got a bunch of cheese to cold smoke for sure and may smoke a roast of some kind for sandwich meat if I find a good deal at the store tomorrow.

Who else has a smoke planned for the weekend.

ragweed

Did a batch of cheese today and have about 14 lbs of Hillbilly bacon going in the smoker tomorrow.

Gafala

Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

LilSmoker

Just got a big pork shoulder (bone in) so i'm doing pulled pork tomorrow
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Bagman

Did a cured pork belly yesterday and will do another today. Yum Yum
If women can't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!  Red Green

KyNola

If all goes well smoking 4 pork tenderloins tomorrow.  They are currently curing in the standard Dry Cure Mix.  I will not use any type of seasoning on them when smoking.  There was also no seasoning added to the cure mix.  Will smoke with hickory(what else?) until an IT of 140.

Makes a great snacking food. :)

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on November 02, 2013, 07:11:33 AM
If all goes well smoking 4 pork tenderloins tomorrow.  They are currently curing in the standard Dry Cure Mix.  I will not use any type of seasoning on them when smoking.  There was also no seasoning added to the cure mix.  Will smoke with hickory(what else?) until an IT of 140.

If I'm reading you correctly you only have Cure #1? with no additional salt or seasonings?

KyNola

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 02, 2013, 07:31:55 AM
If I'm reading you correctly you only have Cure #1? with no additional salt or seasonings?
Robert, it is the Dry Cure Mix, kosher salt, sugar and Cure #1.  The mix is 1 lb of kosher salt, 1/2 lb of sugar and 2 ounces of Cure #1.(10 tsps.)  Mix thoroughly.  It comes from the book "Charcuterie" by Ruhlman and Polcyn.  Stores indefinitely in an airtight container.  Super easy to use and way more convenient when curing meats rather than to mix a curing blend each time you want to cure something.  1 tbsp. of the mix per pound of meat works well.  Think of it as a homemade version of Morton's TenderQuick.

PapaC

Rack of ribs in the oven in foil right now. This is what I did; after cleaning them up, and cutting three lb rack in half I rubbed on 2 parts brown sugar, 1 part Cabelas baby back rib rub, and a pinch of cayenne powder. Bagged in fridge overnight. Applied hickory for three hours at 225. Very windy outside, so I opted to finish in the oven. Spread thin layer of butter, and some honey on the bottom of foil, wrapped Em up and am now cooking them. It's almost time, so I'll take the out of foil, rub on a little "Special sauce", and cook uncovered for 30-40 mins. Serving with garlic mashed spuds, and stove top stuffing.  ;D
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.

Habanero Smoker

The Basic Dry Cure formula is posted on the recipe site also, but the one on the recipe site doesn't round off like Ruhlman does in his book. Also it is better to use pickling/can salt or non-iodized table salt, because it will measure the same by volume as Morton's TQ. In addition, the small grain salts dissolves faster and better then kosher salt. If you use kosher salt which comes in a variety of crystal sizes, then you should measure by weight.

Basic Dry Cure

The actual formula is (salt weight + sugar weigtht) x 10% = cure #1 weight (The salt weight should be 2 times the weight of the sugar)

For example: 16 oz. (salt) + 8 oz sugar = 24 oz. x .10 = 2.4 oz. of cure one.

This gives you a Cure Mix that if very close to 1% sodium nitrite, which is a substitute for Morton Tender Quick.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Saber 4 on November 02, 2013, 07:31:55 AM

Robert

Larry has you posted in the right direction.