Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Walleye

Hi Arcs

They were in for 3.5 hours. I alternated alder & apple for 1 hour 20 min. Box temp was 200, the last 30 min I cranked it up to 230. IT was 168 when I pulled them. They were tasty treats and I will definitely do them again. Although I might try playing with some spices in them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Gizmo

The bacon seems to tighten up as they cook. Bacon was not too bad. That was why the last 30 min I cranked the temp to 230. I like your idea of slapin them on the grill for a few minutes though. I think it would make the bacon awsome!

Mike

Arcs_n_Sparks

Mr. Walleye,

Thanks. Just showed your pics to the wife, and now I am on tap to deliver. I take it you would slap on the grill to crisp the bacon a bit?

Sparkler

Mr Walleye

Arcs

I would try Gizmo's idea to crisp the bacon a little bit more. I guess it depends how you like your bacon, I prefer mine crispy. The bacon was ok on them but I think if I would have done the grill thing it would have been great!

Mike

Gizmo

I thought the extra temp at the end was for the bacon.  From the bacon uses I have had, the backon was nice and smokey but not what I like in texture.  They were loose (placed over a pork butt) and so a quick turn on the griddle made a tasty treat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

When I did these I pulled mine out early (at 140 +-) and finished them on the grill.  It may have helped the Bacon but I think you can get the same thing with just turning up the temp at the end and investing an extra amount of time.  The bacon was good, but not crispy if you are looking for that... too much moisture ... for crispy. Notice O has good cooked looking bacon. OH YEA what I was going to say is the grill is good and hot and good to finish lots of stuff but the piece only touches in a couple of places about an inch wide so it is not like when you put it on a griddle or intouch with grates.

I ended up sprinkling the top with some grated cheese just for cosmetics.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

LilSmoker

Well i missed my weekend smoke, i had to catch up with work coz of the bad weather over here, but yesterday i was getting withdrawal, so i took the day off today ;D i've got ribs going now hickory/oak combo, and later there's a nice lump of pork going in, it's a shoulder for pulled pork, so that'll be going through the night.

I'm gonna go and fix the fence now (keep the wife happy) i think the aroma of ribs cooking will be too much distraction though, better get the beer out! feels like saturday already  ;D ;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

NePaSmoKer

LilSmoker

Nice lump of pork:

Rubbed and ready to go:

Spent the night and some in the BS, then FTC for 5 hours :o :

This lil'piggy just fell apart!:

Had some with bbq sauce, jacket potatoes corn on the cobb , and still enough left for me to have a snack with my beer, while i keep an eye on the 4 lil'trout i've got smoking right now :

LilSmoker

manxman

Manxman

Arcs_n_Sparks

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Quote from: manxman on January 28, 2007, 08:20:45 AM
WOW, that looks good LS!  :P :P

Quote from: Arcs_n_Sparks on January 28, 2007, 08:22:16 AM
I second that observation.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Quote from: owrstrich on January 28, 2007, 09:05:22 AM
+3

Quote from: Wildcat on January 28, 2007, 09:34:48 AM
+4 ;)

Hey thanks guys, very reassuring, every time i do pulled pork it's always very nice, but this was the best yet ;)

Anyway, here's the 4 lil'trout i spoke of, i did them as close to BOUTCH's recipe as i could, they were smoked at no higher than 60c throughout, i let them smoke for around 6 hours.
Although small, they really are very moist and tasty, i can recommend the BOUTCH recipe for anybody that hasn't tried it yet.
I got the trout from a farmers market as they were nice and fresh, and i wanted to give the recipe a try, but next time i do this recipe it will be with fish that i've caught, and they'll be bigger!  ;)
Anyway salmon it ain't, but very nice all the same.

Just drying after coming out of brine:

I put them in the BS laying on their bellies, so that i could keep the cavity open allowing the smoke to get right in:

Just right i think, nice colour:

And finaly stripped naked! ;D

Bye for now guys.............LilSmoker

Arcs_n_Sparks

LilSmoker,

Very nice pics......

Getting harder to wait for dinner at this rate...

Arcs_n_Sparks