Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilSmoker

Went to a local farmers market this morning, got some nice goodies for the BS
Got a couple of nice shoulder/butts rind on bone in, that's for pulled pork next week
Got a nice brace of pheasant

Got 3 rabbits, just finished cleaning and jointing them, i was gonna do them BS style, but my mum makes a killer rabbit stew, so they're going round to mums

Also got 4 nice rainbow trout , they're bathing in a nice cognac brine atm, (Boutch variation) and they'll be smoked low and very slow tommorow

I have not been smoking as much as usual lately, work has been busy, but i'm planning on making up for lost smoke time in the next few weeks, i get withdrawals if i don't eat something Bradley at least once a week!

Anyway i'll get some pics up once i get underway!

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Wildcat

Arse, pheasant, rabbit, and trout too? :o  Where's the invite?  Post some pictures.  I can only dream of pheasant.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

LilSmoker

Quote from: Wildcat on October 27, 2007, 02:24:03 PM
Arse, pheasant, rabbit, and trout too? :o  Where's the invite?  Post some pictures.  I can only dream of pheasant.

Haha! hey Wildcat, you know you'd be very welcome, awfull long way to travel though even for a nice feast  ;D

I suppose you'll have to make do with the pics

..........LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

Duster

that trout sounds good

then again so does the pulled pork.
OK wiled cat here's the plan you and I both go together on a rubber raft and we'll be at lilsmokers front door before he knows were coming

Wildcat

We will have to wait until summer.  Tooooo cold in those waters right now.  Remember the Titantic - just think what would happen with a rubber raft.  ;D

Duster

did ya see wiled cat, Lilsmoker I don't think ya can make them trout last till spring can ya? Well ya might as well go ahead and fix em now I'd hate to see em go to waist cause some floridian was afraid of a little cold water.
I guess wiled cat you and I will just have to get together and catch our own sometime. besides you and i live closer together than we do to Lil

jfalls55

;D Rubbed up about 6 more lbs of 'Smart Chicken' thighs with the below rub on Friday afternoon, 10-26-07.

Jim Goode's BBQ Beef Rub

2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar substitute)
    2 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons dry mustard
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
    1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
    3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    3/4 teaspoon ground savory
    3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 teaspoon white pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
    Salt, to taste

Basically I'm just replacing what I eat up during the workweek. This is basically a diabetes friendly recipe, i.e., keeping the carbs low. The above rub I got off this forum somewhere. It works really well with the chicken. I take off the skin, rub them down with the rub, and let them sit in zip-loc bags for 24 hours. I smoke them with hickory, usually for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, maybe more depending on how cold it is outside. I pull them at about 175 - 180 degrees, usually measured on the biggest piece in the smoker. I know, some folks will question the salt in the recipe for diabetics, but keep in mind that I don't use very much. 'All things in moderation'. If you don't 'give' a little in a few places, you may wind up giving up completely on the diet. I see it happening to several acquaintances and family members who are diabetic. I know it seems to be working for me, as I've dropped 51 lbs.

Duster

I believe a congrats is order jfalls55, not only for the good sounding chicken rub but also for your diet. Keep up the good work.

Wildcat

This does look good.  I will have to give it a try.  Thanks for posting.

whitetailfan

Two full pork loins hit the tenderquik brine this morning.
Brine for about 40 hours turning 3 or 4 times.
Smoke 3 hours hickory or maple late Saturday.

Ran out of smoked chops last month and gotta get ready for winter ;)
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Duster

sounds good whitetailfan send the leftovers my way will ya ;D

Wildcat

2 Butts totaling 16 pounds in smoker at 2pm central.  FTC for 4 hours when temp reaches 190,  then pull and vac seal for trip over to Jacksonville, FL for Thanksgiving with family.  Keeping it simple - coated with olive oil, rub with Oink'r Rub, smoke with 4 hours apple and finish in BS (190 - 210 box temp).  It will probably take 20 to 24 hours to cook.  Spritz every hour or two with apple juice.  Everyone else is doing turkey and ham.  Bet my butts disappear first. 

Mr Walleye

Sounds good Wildcat!

I bet your right about them disappearing first!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

iceman

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 12, 2007, 12:37:07 PM
Sounds good Wildcat!

I bet your right about them disappearing first!  ;)

Mike
You bet yer butt they will !!! :D ;D

Duster