Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

In the process of making lox. They'll go into the smoker about 2 for 3 hours. I gots the cream cheese, bagels and onion waiting. ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

La Quinta

Hey HCT...I just did my first batch last weekend and smoked for 2 hours...should have smoke for 3 (at least for my taste). It was 2lbs. Just an FYI...we ate 1lb and I stuck the other pound back in for an extra hour and it was perfect!! Have you made them before?

HCT

La Quinta, this is my first time making the lox. I smoked them for 2hrs 40 mins., couldn't hold on any longer. I posted my outcome in the 'fish' thread. Glad your's came out great, I can hardly wait til tomorrow after it's rested.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Gizmo

Quote from: La Quinta on January 28, 2008, 11:15:59 AM
Hey HCT...I just did my first batch last weekend and smoked for 2 hours...should have smoke for 3 (at least for my taste). It was 2lbs. Just an FYI...we ate 1lb and I stuck the other pound back in for an extra hour and it was perfect!! Have you made them before?
Will that 1 lb be making it to Perris?

I have the Horseradish in hand and will be bringing it along, gift jars and some sauce made up for the Prime Rib.  I will be making some Shrimp Ceviche as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Nah Giz...it'll be gone by then...Perris will get fresh rested lox!! That was the dry run!!! Bagel chips...cream cheese...red onion...cucumber...just a tempting little appetizer! I think we got a lotta rib to eat! :) And snack sticks...and ceviche.(man I love ceviche) slim jims...veggie terrine...and let us not forget the cheesecake bars!! :) I'm not gonna eat for 2 days before!! :)

Gizmo

I hear ya there.  We'll keep the massive chow down to just a small army this time.   :D  We'll have to have NePa send over the boys on their next in-country liberty. 
Forget that NePa, we wouldn't want them going AWOL after not being able to stand from eating all that chow.   ;D  ;D  Hooo Rahh boys.  You're the best.

La Quinta

Tiny Tim

Cold smoked some Chicken Wings on Friday night for the Super Bowl party (baked then mildly sauced on Sunday), and Saturday night I did a "thrown" turkey.  Was bringing it in the house after the smoke period to finish it in the oven, was distracted by the pool of water inside the cavity and tripped on the threshold coming in the door.  Bird went flying down the steps and I bounced on the floor.  Had a chance to grab at the bird to prevent it from going all the way to the basement, but could only grab the temp probe and it wasn't enough to stop it.  Manuevered myself around to get up (not an easy task with this large body and small area I was in), went down and retrieved the bird, washed it in the sink, and put it in the oven (all this after throwing the potholder mitt across the kitchen and cussing a bit).  Grabbed a pop and sat for a bit.  About 5 minutes later, the scanner goes off and my first thought was somebody heard me cuss and felt the earthquake and called the ambulance for me, but it was for a lady who thought she was having a heart attack in town (she was okay when they loaded her into the ambulance, I don't know about any further updates).

Consiglieri

How'd the turkey turn out, Tiny?  Of course, none of us have ever dropped a tray rotating racks or basting meat.  And if we had, we wouldn't put the meat back in the cabinet and serve it to guests. 

I made some of Habs pastrami, steam finish method.  Great reviews, only about 2 sandwich's worth of leftovers. 
Consiglieri

Tiny Tim

After a rinse in the sink with hot water, and finishing in the oven, it tasted pretty good...even just had a nibble of it when I was home checking on the PID for Wildcat.  Kinda crunchy from the dirt and sand it picked up though  :D :D :D :D

Habanero Smoker

Tiny Tim;

That sounds similar to a fumble recovery I saw during yesterday's game. :)

Glad to hear you were able to save the turkey.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

Gizmo

Quote from: Tiny Tim on February 04, 2008, 01:57:18 PM
After a rinse in the sink with hot water, and finishing in the oven, it tasted pretty good...even just had a nibble of it when I was home checking on the PID for Wildcat.  Kinda crunchy from the dirt and sand it picked up though  :D :D :D :D

There is a local cable show guy called "Sam the cooking guy" that dropped a rack of ribs on the patio after they slipped out of his tongs after pulling them off the grill.  He gave the camera a sly look, made a couple of cherrished comments about the situation as he was picking them up of the deck then commented how the crew would devour them.

Tiny, at least you did have the film crew there plastering your attempt to get a plucked and smoked turkey to fly again.   :D 
I think you could post this in the story of the day. ;D   

Wildcat

Sure glad you were not seriously hurt and salvaged the bird as well.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Tiny Tim

Quote from: La Quinta on February 04, 2008, 04:56:37 PM
Hey Tiny...you ok?

Yeah, I'm fine....little stiff yesterday, but nothing wrong with me (from that incident anyway  ;) :P ).