Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

We are heading down to the Chart House on Coronado tonight so I get the night off.  Son's Bday.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

Consiglieri

PBS did a nice documentary on Coronado.  Check it out, Giz, if you get the chance.

BTW: can I ask you to post your brisket boating technique again?  Mine turned out a bit dry.  I think Kiyotei is right: smaller briskets dry out easier. 
Consiglieri

Gizmo

I always get whole packer briskets.  11 to 14 pound range.  I think the weight may be as important as the grade.  Too light and there is not enough fat inside to render, flavor, and moisturize.  To heavy and you are paying for a lot of fat that will just be discarded.  I cut it in half - actually where the thickness starts to increase so they two halfs will individually cook evenly.  The fat cap side goes on top rack.  I smoke for 4 hours at 210.  After the smoke, I preheat the house oven (you could use the Bradley if you want) and prepare 2 foil pans with some apple juice and sometimes some Jack Daniels or red wine, or what ever flavorings (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in bottom).  I put probes in each and cover with foil and pop it into the oven at 210 to 215.  One the IT is reached, (the two pieces usually are not done at the same time) I will pull it out of the oven and let it rest before slicing.  You can also put into a cooler, microwave (with no power), etc. to maintain some temp.  For me, holding the meat at the desired IT for a little while helps for the rendering and tenderizing.  The liquid in the bottom braises the meat and creates some moisture in the environment which should help keep the meat from drying out.  Taking the meat too far or too long at IT can render all the liquid out and therefore may cause some of the dryness.  I have in the past posted some info on temp, it, and times that I gleened from another site that dealt with why one turns out dry and the other doesn't.  It addresses box temp vs. IT temp as they posted a relationship that should be followed based on the box temp.  Someday I'll have to get some science behind it with ideal box temps, times, IT, and oven temps after boating for perfect every time.  Gee then I guess I can write a book and retire.  Oh wait, it looks like I wrote a book here.  Sorry.
Hope this works out.

Wildcat

I did something different than I usually do on my last brisket.  I smoked/cooked at 200 until IT of 175.  (About 15 hours with a 7.5 pounder) I then let it rest until cool enough to wrap in cling wrap, and then refregerated until around 2pm the next day.  Then I boated like Giz mentioned above with an oven temp of 210 until meat temp reached 190. (About 2.5 hours)  Turned out wonderful with more smoke flavor than normal.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Consiglieri

Consiglieri

Ontrack

Is it just me, or am I the only one who can buy the same cut of choice brisket, within a 1/2 pound of the same weight, same thickness, with the same outdoor temps, same box temps, same cooking time, same IT, same FTC time, and having two pieces of meat come out tasting and cooking so different? Even the same amount of adult beverages while cooking! Is it me or the cow or what? :-\ The one I did this weekend was the most tender, juciest one I've ever done, and it was the same as the last!

Wildcat

Mine vary a little, but not much.  Some are not quite as tender and some are a little more juicy than others.  I think it is primarily the amount of fat and marble.  I try to be consistant with my choices.  One thing that we generally have little control over is how old the animal was, how much exercise it had, what it was fed, and to some extent, the breed.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Gizmo

Cat's comment about the amount of fat and marble is a key element IMHO.  You can get a top grade choice cut that is real lean and it won't turn out juicy, but if you lard it (take pieces of the fat you cut off, make little slices with a paring knife, and put the pieces into the slices in the meat) you can make up some of the difference in marbling.

La Quinta

Hey OnTrack...I notice you talk about thickness and the same time allowed...typically how long does it take and how thick is the meat? The first one I did...was thinner...but seemed to take longer to get tender...I know that sounds "backwards" but? First time was a Costco...so maybe that was a flat? The second/third and fourth time were from the butcher...thicker and took less time? I know this is odd...Any help?

NePaSmoKer

Gots some smoked GB, speidies smoked shrimps, 6 fatties and 6 smoked beer can yard birds to do friday night for a party on sat.

I need a beer or 2 or 3

nepas

Ontrack

LQ, you're exactly right. It is odd. Now, was there a question in there somewhere? :-\ ;D

La Quinta

Yeah...you said the last one you did was the best...what was the cut...(I guess I wasn't clear...sorry)...

Ontrack

I was just being a smart a$$ again, LQ. It was a Choice flat with about 1/4 inch fat cap. It actually had quite a bit of fat on the bottom, which I trimmed off and laid on a "bald spot" on the end of the flat.

La Quinta

Ok...thanks...geezzz you're cranky pants...where the hell is smokinduck for some light heartedness...?