Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gizmo

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 30, 2008, 02:02:55 PM
Trying some dinasour bones (whole rack of beef ribs) tomorrow for the first time.

I am doing a combination of bones tomorrow.
Stopped off at the meat market today.  Was going to pick up a couple racks of Iowa meet baby backs.  Couldn't pass up the bones that were sitting near by.  Steve, the manager, said he just broke open the package this morning so it will be interesting to see how much fresh beef ribs blow away the "previously frozen" stuff you get in the chain stores. 

Yes, the lower rack of ribs is actually one rack and is slighly bigger than the 2 racks above.   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Gizmo on August 30, 2008, 05:39:08 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 30, 2008, 02:02:55 PM
Trying some dinasour bones (whole rack of beef ribs) tomorrow for the first time.

Was going to pick up a couple racks of Iowa meet baby backs. 

Giz, Myself Being from Iowa, I was Just wondering is there another type of meat other than the Iowa Corn feed Stuff?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

Being from Iowa, I would agree there is not.  We do pay for it though here in SoCal.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Gizmo on August 30, 2008, 06:04:26 PM
Being from Iowa, I would agree there is not.  We do pay for it though here in SoCal.

Really!! What part you from? NE corner here close to DUBUQUE
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Gizmo

North Central about 17 miles south of the minesota line.  Right on highway 169.  If you blink you will miss it we use to say.  Less than 1 thousand people.

Gizmo

Here is the finish of the ribs above.

Basic Memphis dry rub

Post foil wrap, saucin', and grillin'

Just so the folks won't go to lickin' their screen.

I normally do a foil boat and oven finish.  Today, I decided to go longer in the Bradley, sauced and wrapped in foil after the 4 hours of smoke.  After 1 hour extra in the BS, I moved them to the oven at 375 deg.  I should have left the temp down lower since they were already sauced up.  Foil wrapped is hotter than the foil boat and I didn't adjust for the difference.  As it was, the BBQ sauce was over cooked on the back of the back ribs.  Still tasty though.   

Consiglieri

That looks so good, Giz.

I have a smallish brisket flat cooking now.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

In answer to the Iowa beef question, we have a fine California answer: Harris Ranch.  I say that recognizing that everyone has there backyard loyalties, but IMO, they put out some very fine beef.  Worth a peek, anyway:  http://www.harrisranch.com/index2.php

Hope everyone is enjoying the long weekend. 
Consiglieri

Habanero Smoker

Gizmo,

The dinosaur bones look good. How long did you cooked them and at what temperature. Mine came out great, except a little tougher then I would have liked. I rarely can get decent beef ribs in my area and this was a treat. I did on slab Asian style, after appling smoke I finished by braising in the oven at 225°F. The other I used a spicy rub, and fully smoked cooked it in the smoker at 225°F. Total cook time for each slab was 6 hours. Unfortunately I was only able to get one rib from each slab, the rest was devoured by relatives. Used 1:40 hours of smoke, combination of pecan and hickory.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

At 0700 I put 18lbs of Spare ribs in. A modified Alton Brown rub. After three hours of Hickory @ 200, they will get Cast iron / foil boated, a braising sauce, and into the 200F convection oven for 6 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oldman

Doing a double smoked picnic ham --I'm only going to leave it in the smoker during the smokin' period. Then I will wrapped it once it is cooled in plastic and give it a few days in the refrig so the smoke flavors through it before I bake it.

Also I'm smokin' the deckel end of a corned beef. (Ya I know it is a lazy man's way of doing things.)

The corned beef we will eat today.

Happy Labor Day All~~!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

FLBentRider

Sounds good Olds. I've not done the ham thing yet. I'm thinking about curing one from scratch for Christmas dinner, but that is alot of pressure without a practice round....

I've got a couple of yard birds that will get KyNola's Jans rub and go in the smoker after the ribs come out.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

FLBentRider

The chickens do not smell "right"  - in the trash they go.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 01, 2008, 02:32:01 AM
Gizmo,

The dinosaur bones look good. How long did you cooked them and at what temperature. Mine came out great, except a little tougher then I would have liked. I rarely can get decent beef ribs in my area and this was a treat. I did on slab Asian style, after appling smoke I finished by braising in the oven at 225°F. The other I used a spicy rub, and fully smoked cooked it in the smoker at 225°F. Total cook time for each slab was 6 hours. Unfortunately I was only able to get one rib from each slab, the rest was devoured by relatives. Used 1:40 hours of smoke, combination of pecan and hickory.

They got the same treatment this time as the baby backs.

4 hours of smoke at 210 deg, they were the top two racks starting at the 2nd rack position from top on a 6 rack.  I sprayed them with AJ after 1.5 hours of smoke and 3 hours of smoke.  Did about 1 hour more in the BS wrapped in foil with the oven temp set to 260.  Wasn't recovering from pulling and wrapping in foil, 1 rack at a time, so I moved them to the house oven and 375 deg for about 1 hour.  I usually don't do the BS post smoke because of the recovery time and that is why I felt I must rush the ribs so I could feed the company by 5:30 or 6:00.  The higher than normal oven temp and being wrapped in foil instead of a foil pan with foil on top caused the sauce to burn but the meat was still good.  Hint: if making a change, don't do multiple major changes at the same time.  Put Iceman's sauce on one Rack of Beef, a sauce I made with the Naga Pepper on the other rack.  One rack of baby backs got Iceman's, another got mine, a third received some Korean BBQ sauce while the fourth went naked.  After pulling out of the oven, I tosse them on the Ranch Grill for about 5 minutes to carmelize the sauce on the top of the ribs (only the sauce on the bottom of the ribs was burnt from the oven, and that from a convection oven  :(.   Obviously more experimentation is needed on a regular basis.   ;)  Hey, mabe I can use that excuse to make ribs every weekend.  Fresh salsa, chips, shrimp with atomic c0cktail sauce, curry couscous, and a spring salad rounded out the meal along with beer and tequilla. 

Oldman

The ham "skin" turned out just great... now the ham will be "curing" for a few days.

This is the Deckle end of the cornbeef I did today as well. (Image is a little to wide for this posting board.)

http://www.susanminor.org/Rayeimages/smoked-deckle.jpg

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!