Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Stick Bow Crafters Turkey breast here along with the 14 oz of salt and potatoes

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tsquared

15 lbs of pork butt in the smoker tonight as my contribution to the Grey Cup party on Sunday. If it stops raining I might sneak out tomorrow and catch a salmon or 2.
T2

Mr Walleye

Last night for supper I did 6 lbs of chicken wings. 1 hour in the smoker then into the Big Easy. This time I tried Habs suggestion and I dusted them with cornstarch. I always do my wings naked, then sauce them after. Man did they turn out perfect! Nicely browned and crisp on the outside and ohhh so tender on the inside.

Sorry no pictures....

After the wings came out I threw in a 10 lb pork butt and a 9 lb chuck. They have been in for 19 hours now and are at 167 degrees IT. The timing is fine because I always allow 24 hours for doing multiple butts and use FTC as my buffer. They look and smell fantastic! I can't say that I have ever had anything stall this long before. Oh well.... Ya can't hurry perfection!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

Have two pounds of Pepperoni snack sticks ready to go in the smoker later this afternoon.  I used the Hi Mountain kit. 

Not sure what dinner is going to be but I think it will be finished in the Big Easy. 

La Quinta

I am so jealous...you go Ms. Deb...please do pictures...(for my hubby?) !!! The Big Easy...pepperoni sticks...Ugh...I gotta get off my butt...smoke some stuff...
For the puppy sticks...what casing do you use? And the diameter? I haven't tried to make them...make a lot of sausage...like Italian, breakfast, andouille...etc...fat ones...usually use pork casings...fresh...(the salted ones are really not for me).

Any help you can offer would be great???  :)

deb415611

LQ,

The Big Easy didn't happen.  I couldn't get anywhere near the meat section at the grocery store.  I ended up making homemade mac & cheese.

Pepperoni sticks  -- I used the Hi Mountain kit.  It uses 21 mm kind of reddish collagen casings.  The collagen casings are easy to work with but they have an odd taste - not sure if it is the color in the casing or if the regular collagen casings would have the same taste.     I haven't done any sausage - this was my second time with the pep sticks- did some last weekend too.  Last week I made some beef & some turkey sticks.  The beef was 90% ground beef.  The turkey ones were made with ground turkey breast.  I figured they would both be dry & nasty but I was pleasantly surprised.   They were both good.  I'm sure they would have been better with more fat but..... ;)   

LQ - what do you to stuff your sausage with.  I am using the kitchen aid and hate it.  I think I can deal with it for the grinding but the stuffing seemed to take far longer than I thought it should.  Whoever designed the plastic plunger piece needs to be fired. Why it is not a round piece of plastic I'll never know - I felt like more meat went up the sides than went down into the stuffer.    I think a vertical stuffer needs to go on the Christmas list since I would love to do some sausage.  I keep looking at the turkey & cherry sausage in Charcutiere. 

I will get some pics for Mr. LQ.  Remind me if I forget as I'm not on the computer with the pictures right now. 

Deb

sherlock

i know what you mean.

I will suggest you buy the 10# vertical stuffer as a minimum. I usually make around six pound batches and I only have a 5# stuffer. PITA
However it sure beats our Kitchen Aid.

:)

deb415611

Quote from: sherlock on November 25, 2008, 08:52:09 AM
i know what you mean.

I will suggest you buy the 10# vertical stuffer as a minimum. I usually make around six pound batches and I only have a 5# stuffer. PITA

Thanks Sherlock,  I was thinking 5# would be enough,  I'll start looking at the 10# ones.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: deb415611 on November 25, 2008, 09:31:38 AM
Quote from: sherlock on November 25, 2008, 08:52:09 AM
i know what you mean.

Thanks Sherlock,  I was thinking 5# would be enough,  I'll start looking at the 10# ones.

Deb,
I always went with the bigger is better frame of mind. But I found my 5# Grizzly stuffer on Ebay for $59 The 15lb stuffers are around $249 if I remember right. I said to myself, Self for $200 bucks I can reload the darn thing alot of times. Most small batch recipes for sausage are for 5 or 10lbs anyway. So its only one reload. It isn't that big of a deal to reload the stuffer. IMHO
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

The Bird is in the OBS - 4 hours of Apple on the way.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Decided to do two turkey breasts instead of a whole turkey.  Doing the  brined (with cure) herb turkey breast  from Charcuturie.   Will smoke with Cherry & then finish in the oven.  The second one is in an apple cider brine - don't think I'm going to smoke that one.  Planning all the timing on everything now. 

10.5 -- thanks for the input,  I wasn't liking the price of the bigger ones.   I'll look around for the Grizzly.  My husband keeps asking what I want for Christmas.  My list will be a stuffer and a meat slicer  :)

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!!!! 

Deb

FLBentRider

I just rotated the bird and hooked up the ET-73...

IT is 161F !! ??

already ?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Garlic Parmesan Wings and a couple of Fattys

Wings after 2 hours smoke going into the Big Easy

A quick blast in the Big Easy

Second batch of wings in now, just put Fattys in

Smokin Soon