Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

I am going to do it.
Haven't I read somewhere that I shouldn't eat it for 10 to 14 days?
I hate waiting.
I prefer instant gratification ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: sherlock on December 10, 2008, 08:20:13 AM
I am going to do it.
I hate waiting.

I have eaten smoked cheese right out of the smoker, wrapped in plastic wrap for 24 hours in fridge. cryovaced for 2 weeks. The 24 hours taste test is the best IMHO. gives the flavor time to soak in.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

I haven't done much lately but it looks like the weekend is going to be clear... 

I'm going to go read the sausage section of Charcuterie & then start some summer sausage.   Hopefully this will be the last time I have to deal with the kitchen aid for stuffing (it's only the 2nd time but I hated the first) ....   

Then I'm going to BJs to get some cheese to smoke this weekend.

Anybody know what a spoon roast is?  Looks like it might be top sirloin.   I bought one because it looked like it wanted to go in the Big Easy on Sunday. 

Smoking Duck

Quote from: sherlock on December 10, 2008, 08:20:13 AM
I am going to do it.
I hate waiting.

The longer you can hold out, the better the taste, IMO.  Right out of the smoker makes it taste like ash.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smoking Duck

Quote from: deb415611 on December 12, 2008, 11:21:55 AM
I haven't done much lately but it looks like the weekend is going to be clear... 

I'm going to go read the sausage section of Charcuterie & then start some summer sausage.   Hopefully this will be the last time I have to deal with the kitchen aid for stuffing (it's only the 2nd time but I hated the first) ....   

Then I'm going to BJs to get some cheese to smoke this weekend.

Anybody know what a spoon roast is?  Looks like it might be top sirloin.   I bought one because it looked like it wanted to go in the Big Easy on Sunday. 

Here's what I got from practicallyedible.com:

Spoon Roast
Spoon Roast is not an actual cut of meat, but rather a marketing term for a cut of beef sirloin, top sirloin roast or "sirloin beef bottom tips", or a cut of lamb, that with low and slow cooking comes out so tender you can "scoop the meat with a spoon." So, essentially, it is somewhat close to being higher grade of pot roast beef that doesn't require quite as much cooking time as a pot roast.

Some stores tumble Spoon Roasts for you in a marinade.

Cooking Tips
Bake in oven with some water in a covered casserole dish at 325 F (160 C), allowing 15 minutes per pound for rare, 18 minutes per pound for medium, 20 to 25 minutes per pound for well done.

History
The term "Spoon Roast" was possibly invented by the owner (a Mr Schneider) of the Longmeadow Community Market (closed January 2003) in Longmeadow, Massachusetts, sometime after the mid 1950s. His Spoon Roast cut was a top sirloin section, cut in half opposite to how you'd cut it for steaks.

Let us know how it turns out (hint:pics) and let us know what type of cheese you get!

SD

deb415611

Thanks Duck! 

I'm not so sure that it should go in the Big Easy now based on what you found......    I am craving medium rare, I don't want to eat it with a spoon.   hmmmmmm   ???  I might still try it in the Big Easy..... however it's done it's going to get the Beefman garlic treatment

pics will follow 

Smoking Duck

Why not throw some smoke on it and then into the Big Easy?  Get the best of both worlds!  I'm gonna hold you to the pics promise!  ;D

HCT

Thanks Duck, I've been wondering for the longest time what exactly a spoon roast was. It seems to vary market to market.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 12, 2008, 11:49:22 AM
Why not throw some smoke on it and then into the Big Easy?  Get the best of both worlds!  I'm gonna hold you to the pics promise!  ;D

I think the timing on the sausage is going to work out so that the roast can go into the smoker with the sausage & then in the big easy.

Maybe even pics of the sausage  :)   I owe LQ some sausage pics. 

deb415611

Quote from: HCT on December 12, 2008, 11:52:43 AM
Thanks Duck, I've been wondering for the longest time what exactly a spoon roast was. It seems to vary market to market.

HCT,

The only place I have ever seen it is Antonellis.   Stopped there this morning and grabbed a couple pork butts  & some frozen pork belly (they did not have fresh)

I'm going to start some belly bacon this weekend too.

Smoking Duck

deb415611

HCT

Hi Deb,
   Big Y sells it but I never could find it in the case (I never buy meat from the case). They advertise it in small print with the sirloin steaks. Go figure.

I take it you didn't loose power. Just got mine back a little while ago, prolly gonna loose it again with all the high wind up here..
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

deb415611

Quote from: HCT on December 12, 2008, 12:10:17 PM
Hi Deb,
   Big Y sells it but I never could find it in the case (I never buy meat from the case). They advertise it in small print with the sirloin steaks. Go figure.

I take it you didn't loose power. Just got mine back a little while ago, prolly gonna loose it again with all the high wind up here..

No ice here, just rain. Just a little wind - no chance of losing power.   My office lost power & it's still out (it's in NH though) and I haven't been able to log into the server all day to get the files I need.  Except for a couple emails I have pretty much taken the day off.

No Big Y here.  In fact we have less stores than we did last year.  They closed the Price Chopper in Waterbury and then Shop Rite moved into that building.    

Got to go make sausage now!