Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

You just go with your bad self Deb!!!  :D Really looking forward to your sausage pics...if you get a chance to do them!!

deb415611

Quote from: La Quinta on December 12, 2008, 04:48:53 PM
You just go with your bad self Deb!!!  :D Really looking forward to your sausage pics...if you get a chance to do them!!

First grind done and in the fridg for two days.   Will finish on Sunday.

Brewmeister

Howdy folks. Just stumbled on the site, enjoyed a few good reads, and signed up.

Started out looking for some tips on getting cheese through a grinder. I don't have a separate stuffer, so I'm stuffing with my grinder with a home-made horn. ($.49 plastic funnel from wal-mart with a few modifications. beats the $30 + shipping that Oster wanted.)
I'm thinking I need to mod. the grinder to get the blade out of the equation, and maybe freeze or chill the cheese so it doesn't gum up the grinder. Or I suppose I could just get a stuffer, but I'm too frugal (read, "cheap" if you prefer!  :)  )

Over the last couple nights, I stuffed up 60# of venison. 30# hot italian, 20# bratwurst, 10# cheddarwurst.

I'm off in a few minutes to borrow my buddy's smoker. Much bigger than my little Brinkman (R2D2). And it's propane, so once I get the temp set, It won't require as much attention. Although I do like the flavor from charcoal.

Much thanks to those who've preceded me with a wealth of information.

Happy Smoking

Consiglieri

I have a whole trimmed NY Strip (halved for easier handling) that's been marinating for a couple of days ready to be cooked tomorrow.  Marinade:

1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix (I use good seasons)
2T crushed garlic
1 palm's worth each of: onion powder, dry mustard, brown sugar, Italian seasoning.
60 cranks on the pepper mill
1 750ml bottle of red wine
1/2 to 1C of soy sauce
about a 1/4C of olive oil.

I grill this cut, but throw a few bisquettes on the burn plates to infuse some smoke.  Probably some hickory with a touch of the mesquite. 

This is a great choice when you have a big crowd: cheaper than prime rib, but lots of flavor and meat.  Meat is carved on the thinner side, about 3/8 inch thick.  We'll be serving creamed spinach and baked potatoes on the side. 

I'm looking forward to Sunday. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Is the red wine to drink after 60 cranks of the pepper mill?  I know I'd need it.  I get winded opening the mail. ;D

Dang, Sigs.  That sounds awesome.  Will there be pics? Puhllllllleeeeeeeeeeze?

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Consig --
That sounds awesome!  Are we going to see some pics tomorrow? (I do not demand like some people, no names Duck  ;D)

I just got a roast ready for tomorrrow, was I supposed to count the cranks on the peppermill??  I didn't even count the garlic cloves  :-[

Deb

Consiglieri

With a pepper mill, cranks is an easier unit than spoons. 

I'll try to post some pictures and thanks for the encouragement. 
Consiglieri

deb415611

Here's the weekend so far - today would be complete if I could get out of the Red Sox virtual waiting room and get some stocking stuffers.........

Started Summer Sausage yesterday.  It's in a two day holding period.  I don't think I diced my fat small enough but I guess I will know when it's done.

Click to enlarge

Went to the store & bought some cheese - was going to smoke today but probably tomorrow am.  Not pictured is some Cabot Habanero cheddar  & some Cabot Cheddar & Herb

This one is for Duck (since he requested :) ;)).   Left is maple sugar & maple syrup,  Right is brown sugar & black pepper

The start of tomorrow night dinner - spoon roast - beefmann style modified - garlic, onion, EVOO, black pepper, crushed red pepper, thyme, celery salt, other stuff that I can't remember.  Will get some smoke & then into the Big Easy

To be baked tomorrow -- two double batches of cinnamon rolls & two loaves of multigrain bread

Mr Walleye

Holy crap Deb!  :o

You've been busy! Looks great!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

deb415611

A little busy.  I have this habit of starting too many projects and getting burnt out by the end of the weekend. 

Smokin Soon

Did a full load of Canadian Bacon today, decided to try the Honey-Maple cure from Sausagemaker. Also added my poorboy Maple Syrup brew after 3 days curing. I cheated and sliced one out of the smoker. YUMMY!  :D

Did it a little different this time, Used my usual 3 pack of pork roasts from Costco and split them in half. Only did 5 days of cure in the fridge and one night drying. Used a full 3 hours of Maple, pulled at 144. Seems a little more moist than my other batches.

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

First welcome Brewmeister.

Bit of rain changed the preperation and a great sale on live tails and claws added to the changes.
$7.99/lb

arrachera

For NePa
surf y césped
arrachera and langosta

Fresh out of the steamer
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/