Ok Who Is A-Smokin' What This Weekend - The Cat Is Back.

Started by Oldman, May 17, 2006, 11:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

10.5  - I wouldn't really want to go back there either.  I'm enjoying the age that I'm at now.

SD,

Unfortunately,  both my grandparents died before I was born.  We lived about 5 hours from where my Dad grew up but visited every summer.  I learned how to make gnocchi from one of my aunts.  I used to love going there because of the food.   

Deb

La Quinta

Giggles...I'm flattered... fun to remember what we were doing at 24...

Smoking Duck

Awwwwww Q.....as Forrest Gump said to Jenny when she asked him why he was so good to her:  "Well, you're my girl, Jennie"  Well, you're my girl Q.  (And I mean no disrespect to your hubby  ;))

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

smokeitall

Makin 100 lbs...Smokin 75 lbs

I started a couple days ago and am in the middle of making:

25 lbs Venison Summer Sausage (mesquite)
25 lbs Venison Snack Sticks, half garlic, half jalepeno/red pepper (mesquite)
25 lbs Venison Bacon (ground and formed), (maple)
25 lbs Venison Garlic & Onion Brats, fresh

I have the summer sausage and about 7 lbs of the snack sticks smoked so far.

My only trouble is when I forget and hang something to close to the smoking element (since I leave it on the whole time, helps when the outside temp is 12 deg), it overcooks, even with my circulation fan on.  Only ruined a couple of pounds so far.

I will try and take some pics if I remember.

Caribou

That sounds great Smokeitall!
Wouldn't mind seeing those sausage recipes posted in Sausage Making sometime!;)
YUM!
Carolyn

tsquared

Wow
Smokeitall--your name says it all--that's a pile of smoking--good for you.
T2

Tenpoint5

Smokeitall,

If you can, try laying the sausage on your racks instead of hanging should help with the over cooking on the bottoms. If you get an extra set of racks it will double your space then you can rotate the racks around during the smoke. Im not that concerned about some grid lines on the sides of my sausage, if you aint either than it should work for you as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Quote from: deb415611 on December 20, 2008, 07:00:45 PM
  I learned how to make gnocchi from one of my aunts.  I used to love going there because of the food.   

Gnocchi - just the sound of that words gives me goose pimples.  One of my best friends from college was from League City, near Houston.  His name was Camarata and his mom and pop were from the Old Country.  Everything she made was great tasting, but the Gnocchi - food is not to die for - but that gnocchi was very close.  Her tomato gravy was love in a pot! 

I'm with you on the 24 yo - That would have been 1980 for me and the 80's sucked, I hated disco and I was missing heaven - Texas.  Only thing good in the 80's is that I was still married to my wonderful wife (we got hitched in 79) and my daughter was born in 84.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 23, 2008, 07:26:59 AM
Smokeitall,

If you can, try laying the sausage on your racks instead of hanging should help with the over cooking on the bottoms. If you get an extra set of racks it will double your space then you can rotate the racks around during the smoke. Im not that concerned about some grid lines on the sides of my sausage, if you aint either than it should work for you as well.

Great Suggestion....I will give that a try on my next batch (I have a OBS 4 rack w/ 4 extra jercky screens).  That should work until I get my big smoker finished up.  I have been smoking now for three days and have another load going in when I get home from work tonight.  I'm surprised that the snack sticks take the longest (7 hours) and I can only fit around 7 lbs in at once.

Tenpoint5

Smoke it all here is 10lbs on just the four racks. Just watch that the stix ain't touching well you know the grey uglies.

Grey Uglies = Areas of the sausage that didn't get smoke because they was touching another sausage during smoking.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

I've got a 14lb Turkey that just came out of the brine. It will go in after the wrapping paper storm in the morning, arounnd 0700
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Consiglieri

I'll be grilling some chicken diavolo tonight, and will throw a pecan puck or two into the chip box.  The marinade recipe called for 2.5 tablespoons of crushed red pepper and a tablespoon of sweet paprika!  I cut back on the heat a bit.  I figured I can up the thermostat next time if necessary. 
Consiglieri

Smokin Soon

This is for Bacon-Onion lovers.

45 minutes of hickory and finish in the Big Easy. Sorry no pics, did not last lonRecipe By     :
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : BBQ

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------
  2              large  Vidalia onions -- peeled
  8             slices  hickory-smoked bacon -- thick
  2        tablespoons  brown sugar
  2        tablespoons  balsamic vinegar
  1         tablespoon  molasses

Wrap onion wedges with bacon -- secure with long wooden picks.

Place in a large shallow dish. Combine sugar -- vinegar -- and molasses -- drizzle over onion wedges. Cover and chill 1 hour.

Remove onion wedges from marinade -- reserving marinade.

Grill bacon-wrapped onions -- covered -- over medium-high heat 20 minutes.

Turn and baste occasionally with reserved marinade.

deb415611

A couple things this weekend:

Santa brought me the Grizzly 5lb vertical stuffer.  Yesterday I made 2 1/2 lb of Italian Sausage (no pics).  Today I did 5 lbs of Pepperoni snack sticks (Hi- Mountain kit).  This is most of the 5 lbs :

click to enlarge pics

Also,   what will be our New Years Day dinner :

before smoking :

It just got 3 hours of pecan.   It's a little ham - just under 9 lbs.  I'm using Charcuterie's American Style Brown Sugar-Glazed Holiday Ham recipe (it calls for glazing during first bake, directly after smoking - I'm not going to glaze until reheating) 

It's been a weird weather day here (& I'm not complaining).  I was out on the deck taking care of the smoker in a t-shirt & barefoot.   

Deb

westexasmoker

That looks great Deb....I've so got to get me a stuffer!

So just a T shirt!  :o  ;D  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!