NEW to OBS...Mods to Do

Started by Rajdawg, June 24, 2013, 11:43:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tskeeter

Raj, I got the dual probe so I could use one probe to monitor cabinet temperature and the other probe to control when the smoker advanced from one heat setting to the next, or when the heating element shuts off (You can set your PID to advance based on time or advance based on temperature.  Which trigger you use to change the heat setting is selected on a step by step basis.)

For cabinet temperature, I chose the through the wall mount version.  Seems that most folks use the version that is not permanently mounted to the smoker.  This allows them to place the sensor in different locations depending on what they are smoking, which contributes to more accurate temperature readings (you don't end up with a cold 8 pound pork shoulder an inch above your temp sensor that throws your temp readings off).   

Rajdawg

Got my PID ordered tOday and also ordered Two New Elements(figured i might as wlel replace the old one)

I have read the susan minor site numerous times on the installl

my question is:  If i only plan on running the smoker with the PID is it necessary to install the switch or not?

beefmann

the dual probe i believe will monitor the  box temp as well as the meat  temp,, also i believe i  will turn off at the meat  temp though i will let the owners of the duel prob confirm this  point,,, the single probe is only  used to control box temp

rveal23

I should be getting my 900watt in the next few days, and then I will install that..Thanx to those who answered all my questions and helped me get the info I needed.

I will then try to order the PID next month. 
And I'm still on the fence on adding the fan though??? Is it worth it? Does it make that much of a difference worth the money/time?

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Rajdawg on August 19, 2013, 10:05:27 AM
Got my PID ordered tOday and also ordered Two New Elements(figured i might as wlel replace the old one)

I have read the susan minor site numerous times on the installl

my question is:  If i only plan on running the smoker with the PID is it necessary to install the switch or not?

The switch is optional, I just like a few extra bells and whistles. It has come in handy when I don't want to hookup my temperature controller to do a quick smoke/cook went temperature is not critical. Or to shut the second element off, if my temperature controller is malfunctioning, and I need to cook/smoke something right away.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Rajdawg

is this the right connector Ill need for the AC PLUG to combine the wires from both elements

or is it this one

Habanero Smoker

You will need the top connector; a Female spade connector. Make sure you get the right size for the wire gauge you are using, though if you are connecting two wires to one connector, you may be better off going up one gauge. Also they come in different size connectors, that vary in width, make sure you get the correct size, I believe it is a 1/4" connector, but you should check to be sure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Rajdawg

Ok got the mod done. Had a little trouble getting all the screws back in. Only got two of the four. The others just couldn't get ahold of anything.

Tested it out

Next step is too figure out the pid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Habanero Smoker

Great!

This is the only photo I've seen of both elements in which both seem to be heating exactly the same. On mine the front element seems brighter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

TedEbear

Quote from: Rajdawg on August 22, 2013, 11:09:45 AM
is this the right connector Ill need for the AC PLUG to combine the wires from both elements

I know you already did this but on my dual element I just ran a 3-4 inch piece of high temp wire from the end of the second element to the first on each end and attached them with a ring connector. Then just one wire out the back of the cooking chamber on each side.

Rajdawg

WOW!  What a smart idea...didnt even think about that.  Would have been super simple

I know there was a dummys guide to the PID somewhere can someone point me in that direction

Going to do a small(4lb) brisket tomorrow to test it out

Rajdawg

Small brisket turned into a 12 lb brisket haha.

When I start the smoke cycle on the pid do I need to hit the puck advance button the first time?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TedEbear

Quote from: Rajdawg on August 23, 2013, 02:48:40 PM
When I start the smoke cycle on the pid do I need to hit the puck advance button the first time?

You don't have to but if you don't then you'll be waiting for the first hour before a puck reaches the burner if you don't manually advance it several positions.

The way I do it is when I first turn on the Bradley and let it warm up (only takes about 8 minutes with dual elements) I manually advance the pucks to where the first one is in the spot right before the burner.  Then 20 minutes later it will advance on its own onto the burner. 

When I open the door after about the first 10 minutes of initial start-up to add whatever product I'm smoking it loses some heat and there's still 10 more minutes before the puck advance timer pushes the first puck onto the burner. After I close it back up the heat recovery is back up to the desired chamber temp 10 minutes later when the puck moves onto the burner and everything is nice and hot by then.

TonyL222

Quote from: TedEbear on August 23, 2013, 05:01:39 AM
Quote from: Rajdawg on August 22, 2013, 11:09:45 AM

I know you already did this but on my dual element I just ran a 3-4 inch piece of high temp wire from the end of the second element to the first on each end and attached them with a ring connector. Then just one wire out the back of the cooking chamber on each side.

Yep, I used the "TedEbear" method for dual element.  QED!!  Hardest part was notching the ceramic holders without breaking.  A dremel is your friend!