Oven bags instead of foil.

Started by LanduytG, May 26, 2013, 05:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LanduytG

Doing my second round of ribs today. This times its spare ribs. I have them seasoned for 24hrs with my own dry rub. Now setting out to warm up and getting the smoker ready.

My real question is yesterday I went to the store to get apple juice and larger foil. By the foil were oven bags. Since you foil the ribs up tight when applying juice, why couldn't you use oven bags? I know they are more expensives but would seal better and not as much of a mess. Any thoughts.

Greg

terry08

I have used them with great success.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

beefmann

ragweed

Sounds like a good idea.  I'll have to try.

BBD42

Just watched BBQ Pitt Masters and for the first time one of the contestants used plastic and he was the first one eliminated from the competition. Might want to check this show out. I've got some tremendous cooking tips from this show.

BBD42

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: BBD42 on June 17, 2013, 08:02:33 PM
Just watched BBQ Pitt Masters and for the first time one of the contestants used plastic and he was the first one eliminated from the competition. Might want to check this show out. I've got some tremendous cooking tips from this show.

BBD42

I saw that show. This season on Pitt Masters they are showing more tips that the cooks are using. Last season and this season has been pretty good. From my perspective, and based on the comments of the judges, the plastic was not the cause of him being eliminated first. He never cook beef clod before, so he under cooked it. The judges complaints were that it had too much of a "tug", though they liked the flavor. Also he got slammed for his presentation of the way the box was arranged and for pouring a strip of sauce down the middle of the meat.

If I recall correctly why that pit master used plastic, is that he uses it in competitions, and he feels the plastic wrap does a better job in keeping the meat moist, and since no heat is reflected it would cook faster.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TonyL222

If you have enough racks of ribs, but some in foil and some in bags and let us know how they turn out.

SiFumar

I've used plastic wrap with no problems....it's actually cheaper than foil and IMHO works well.  Never tried oven bags.