Cold Smoking Mod ... the cheap way.

Started by alseguin, June 27, 2013, 04:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alseguin

I know lots of you smoked Chefs out there have done this but I couldn't help to put a pic of my mod up. The tree was an essential part of the setup since the temp in the smoker hit 95 F on the veranda even though the weird weather we're having in Eastern Ontario sent me for the umbrella.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200680337864001&l=50b4fc8839

Cheers.

MoHuka

Gotta ask..what's in the pot on top of the storage (cold smoke) box?  Set up looks great..... with or without the tree
MoSmoker

Alanfromwis

That is a nice setup. Got to love a guy that likes to tinker like me.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

alseguin

Quote from: MoHuka on June 27, 2013, 05:18:11 AM
Gotta ask..what's in the pot on top of the storage (cold smoke) box?  Set up looks great..... with or without the tree

That's a good question. It is a can we use to put compost material in the kitchen before it goes out. I filled it with water because I needed a little weight to keep the smoke from leaking out of the plastic container.
Oh yes .... I lined the container with aluminum foil near the burner using spray adhesive I had laying around ..... it was a test and I was smoking cheese ......lox is next!!

Total cost: $6.99 for the flex tube, umbrella doesn't count!

beefmann

i know what that  is... a red neck  cold smoker,,, ;D ;D

alseguin

Quote from: Alanfromwis on June 27, 2013, 05:28:30 AM
  That is a nice setup. Got to love a guy that likes to tinker like me.

Thanks,

My first attempt a couple of years ago was using an empty can of beans modified and using an aquarium air pump through a venturi tube to blow smoke into my BBQ. It works but a bit of a pain keeping it lit sometimes. You can find how to do it by Googling Venturi tube smoker ..... it was a fun project using stuff I found around the shed. Really puts out the smoke!!

alseguin

Quote from: beefmann on June 27, 2013, 06:31:48 AM
i know what that  is... a red neck  cold smoker,,, ;D ;D

That's funny ...... but you spelled redneck wrong ...... so ..... lol!

sage03

Is the bungee cord to keep the squirrels and birds out of the smoker...or to keep the cheese in if it falls over due to the squirrels and birds....just wondering.... :)

3rensho

Looks great and that is a beautiful location.  Hope the spray adhesive isn't leaching any nasty stuff into the smoke.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

alseguin

Quote from: sage03 on June 27, 2013, 08:13:38 AM
Is the bungee cord to keep the squirrels and birds out of the smoker...or to keep the cheese in if it falls over due to the squirrels and birds....just wondering.... :)

Actually, this one came from the factory with a defective seal around the door so hence the bungee cord. The nice folks at Bradley are sending me a new door seal. Nothing can stop me from using my Bradley lol.

alseguin

Quote from: 3rensho on June 27, 2013, 08:24:57 AM
Looks great and that is a beautiful location.  Hope the spray adhesive isn't leaching any nasty stuff into the smoke.

Actually, it turns out I didn't really need the adhesive at all but I didn't want to take a chance. The cheese tasted good to me but the wife didn't like it smoked that much (2 hours). Next time I'll make a few adjustments. It stays pretty cool behind the foil.

Jim O

Welcome!  If you like the taste of the cheese now,just wait till it "ages" for a month or so.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

alseguin

Quote from: Jim O on June 27, 2013, 08:43:56 AM
Welcome!  If you like the taste of the cheese now,just wait till it "ages" for a month or so.

Jim O

Thanks, since the wife is a little fussy, looks like it will get the chance to age .... I did 2 kg of cheddar lol.

alseguin

Quote from: alseguin on June 27, 2013, 09:00:52 AM
Quote from: Jim O on June 27, 2013, 08:43:56 AM

Jim O

Thanks, since the wife is a little fussy, looks like it will get the chance to age .... I did 2 kg of cheddar lol.

JIM, BTW I find that cheddar goes moldy if kept in the fridge too long. Will the smoking keep it from doing that?

Jim O

I've kept cheddar for over 6 months( I forgot about it ) and it was still fine. It helps if you
vac seal it.
Also I find that cheese stored in the freezer goes "flakey". I vac seal,put it in an air-tight container and store in the fridge or beer fridge.

IMHO the older,the better,but I usually have a problem keeping for too long,as everyone loves it !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !