Smoked deep fried turkey in the recipe book, turned out Great!

Started by Mike53959, June 29, 2013, 08:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike53959

I followed the recipe card and did everything as instructed, overnight brine, 4 hours cold apple smoke then I put the bird (12-14lb) into the "Big Easy" until internal temp got to 165 deg. I basted with butter at around 140 deg. and also put cover on until it got nicely browned. Couldn't be more pleased with the results, nice smoky taste and the meat is juicy, skin is to fight over. Nephews daughter is a very finicky eater and she said it was the best turkey she ever had! Got a tip and maybe next time I will mix maple syrup with the butter when I baste it.
I keep a detailed Que log so it should be no problem duplicating this recipe, now its time to play and tweak a little to create my own unique masterpiece!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Mike53959 on June 29, 2013, 08:36:34 AM
I followed the recipe card and did everything as instructed, overnight brine, 4 hours cold apple smoke then I put the bird (12-14lb) into the "Big Easy" until internal temp got to 165 deg. I basted with butter at around 140 deg. and also put cover on until it got nicely browned. Couldn't be more pleased with the results, nice smoky taste and the meat is juicy, skin is to fight over. Nephews daughter is a very finicky eater and she said it was the best turkey she ever had! Got a tip and maybe next time I will mix maple syrup with the butter when I baste it.
I keep a detailed Que log so it should be no problem duplicating this recipe, now its time to play and tweak a little to create my own unique masterpiece!

I see you posted on the Bradley FB page. Got pics, we all like pics

Ka Honu

Just out of curiosity, what recipe book/card are you talking about?  I'd be interested to know who told you to cold smoke poultry for 4 hours.

Tenpoint5

DO NOT put maple syrup on your bird in the big easy. The sugars WILL burn and your will have a black charcoal crusted bird! NO SUGARS in the big easy
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TedEbear

Quote from: Mike53959 on June 29, 2013, 08:36:34 AM
I followed the recipe card and did everything as instructed, overnight brine, 4 hours cold apple smoke

Hmm...the general rule on poultry is that you have 4 hours to get through the danger zone of 40-140*F internal meat temp.  After that they say you're taking a chance on bad things happening.  You apparently got lucky with this one but do a Google search on the danger zone and poultry.

terry08

I to would be interested in reading the recipe. I have smoked turkey's, before and finished by means of deep frying. All at proper temps. I would never cold smoke a bird four hours. Botulism waiting to happen.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Habanero Smoker

Cold smoking for 4 hours would depend on the brine he used. It would be interesting to see the brine recipe, either the correct amount of cure #1, or a 10% salt brine (one pound of salt per gallon of liquid) would provide protection from Clostridium botulinum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)