New to the Bradley From NE Indiana

Started by F150driver, July 04, 2013, 12:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

F150driver

Yep I finally convinced the wife that the BTDS108P was the way to go for my birthday.  It took 3 years or so to convince her but I got it done.  In the first month I have smoked 4 chickens (2 beer can) and ( 2 traditional) ring sausage, pork loin and jalapenos sausage. 

The Bradley is not my first smoker as I have a CharGriller also that I love.  The thing that made me want the Bradley was that if all things go right I do not have to sit and watch the fire all day.  And once I have got a handle on things I can teach the wife what to do to get it started and keep things going and maybe I can play golf ;D.

So far the only thing that I have to say about the smoker is that I have been doing 4 hour smokes and then trying to run the oven side up to "Finish" off the meat and can not get above 250 degrees.  So far that has not been a problem as things are coming out way more moist than in my CharGriller but I also not getting the smoke ring in the Bradley as I am used to.  This month has been in the mid 70's-80's so I know I am not to cold outside air.

The one thing that I have read already today is that you are not plugging in your smokers into an extension cord.  I am not real sure that I want the smoker inside my garage all day as I have a 14 foot bar top and fridge and keg cooler in the back of my garage so I do not want to have to walk around and by smoker all day.  For me so far so good sitting outside with ECord.  If things change I try to remember the direct outlet. 

Well I am at work today and not going to do any cooking so looking at cooking forums probably not best thing to be doing all day.  SO Happy 4th of July and a VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU to all that SERVED this GREAT COUNTRY and gave us the FREEDOMS that we have.

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, I'm fairly new here to, but from what I've learned it's all about the low and slow with the Bradley so you will end up cooking longer at the lower temps but the end result is awesome. Also I read somewhere that we don't get the same depth of smoke ring with the Bradley, somewhere on here is a whole scientific explanation that I couldn't do justice to. You can definitely add different things with the Bradley, I have done a Canadian bacon and have slab bacon curing for the Bradley now. Also have a pork butt on for pulled pork tonight. Hope you get off work in time to do some smoking.

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska and another F150 driver!

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum!  You will not get a smoke ring from the Bradley.  Also, the Bradley is designed to go low & slow.  It is not intended to reach temps that a house oven will obtain.  I can't think of a thing that I would want to cook in the Bradley at a temp higher than 250.

Enjoy your smoker.  Sounds like you're already doing very well.

beefmann

welcome aboard and enjoy  smoking, you can  use  the smoker on an extinction cord  with a  few considerations,

1) use a  heavy  cord... either  14 gage or 12 gage
2) use a circuit with no other loads or  minimal loads on it
3) the voltage at the end of the  cord is close to 120 volts... no lower then 115   volts as this  will lower the wattage of the element and lower the heat output
4) limit the length to less then 25  feet

hope this helps

3rensho

Has anyone tried running 220V outside (here we have 220V single phase and 380V three phase to power stuff).  I'm sure you can get the 220V models from Bradley that we use here.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

tskeeter

One thing to remember is that European electric distribution systems are 50 cycle, not the 60 cycle used in the US.  Someone who has more electrical knowledge than I do would have to weigh in on whether that would be a problem or not.

beefmann

Quote from: 3rensho on July 05, 2013, 09:02:06 AM
Has anyone tried running 220V outside (here we have 220V single phase and 380V three phase to power stuff).  I'm sure you can get the 220V models from Bradley that we use here.

contact bradley directly ..My understanding is they have 220 volt models available for countries outside the U.S.,

I also Run 220 volts to my BBQ setup when i run my smoker, crock pots and lighting  for larger gatherings along with a neutral and  ground for all the loads,,,2 circuits in one cord basically and split it at the  end into two recpts  one for the smoker and lights and  one  for the crock pots..

Indy Smoker

Welcome from southeast Indiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy

Welcome, f350 driver here because I don't like to use my money for anything but diesel I guess lol.

Slacker

mahto

tu amigo
mahto

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Ketch22

Skishy

"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS