Can't reach internal temp

Started by darrhal, July 06, 2013, 05:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrhal

Using my Bradley digital to smoke some summer sausages and I can't reach the called out internal temperature. The recipe calls out a smoker temp of 180 until an internal temp of 156 is reached. I can only get it up to about 140.
Live each day for what is not for what it was meant to be

GusRobin

1) do you have the vent open?
2) Unplug and replug in all cords --make sure they are seated.
3) Are you on an extension cord? If it is smaller (larger number) than 12 gauge it could be a problem.
4) Are there other items on the same circuit? Bradley is very power level sensitive.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Quote from: darrhal on July 06, 2013, 05:24:32 PM
Using my Bradley digital to smoke some summer sausages and I can't reach the called out internal temperature. The recipe calls out a smoker temp of 180 until an internal temp of 156 is reached. I can only get it up to about 140.

what is your  box temp, along  with gus pointed  out

RAF128

I get the same thing every time I make sausage.    Just like other meats the IT seems to stall at 140 or thereabouts.    Eventually away it goes and gets to temp.

darrhal

Gus
The vent was closed earlier in the smoking process but is now open.
I needed to use an extension cord but used a short 12 gauge cord.
Beef
The box temperature held a steady 180.
Raf
Any amount of time that it normally takes to break the plateau and start climbing again?

We needed to move it in and finished it in the oven but have another batch going in this morning.

RAF128

This happened the last two batches of pepperoni I made.   Both time it was a couple of hours.   Before that I made polish and when I stalled, the smoke was just finished and I poached the sausage to finish.    Prior to that, I don't remember.   

KyNola

You just encountered the infamous "stall" that routinely occurs with butts and briskets but can occur with any type of meat.

BTW, never close the vent entirely.  You're trapping moisture in the box which will hold the air temp down and backing smoke into the generator which will effectively destroy it.  Many, including me, have removed the vent entirely although there are others who use the vent to control heat.

darrhal

We ran our second batch of summer sausage and it stalled out on us at about 140 also. We moved it from the smoker to the oven set at 180. Once again within about 30 minutes the temp was climbing again.
Any ideas why? and is this common?
Thanks everyone for your replies.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: darrhal on July 07, 2013, 03:52:15 PM
We ran our second batch of summer sausage and it stalled out on us at about 140 also. We moved it from the smoker to the oven set at 180. Once again within about 30 minutes the temp was climbing again.
Any ideas why? and is this common?
Thanks everyone for your replies.

SS, sausage, bologna will stall between 130-140. Let it be and it will climb to the IT your needing.