Beef Jerky

Started by Scooter, July 03, 2004, 07:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter

Hello everyone,
  I downloaded my English directions for the smoker thanks to all who replied.  I cured the smoker last night and I wanted to try some Jerky tomorrow.  I was wondering what Temp everyone is using for Jerky and what kind of times they have been experiencing.  I was thinking around 100F for about 5-6 hrs does this sound right?  Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
      Scooter

jaeger

Hi Scooter,
I have not made jerky in the Bradley yet. I have made Lots of jerky in a commercial unit. I know a lot of people use dehydrators for making jerky. With these units you can't really control the heat and you are usually in this 100 dgree temp. range.  With the Bradley you can use a hotter temp. than that and you get your choice of different smoke for each type of jerky that you make. When I cook anything, at some point I want the meat to reach the recommended internal temp. for product that I am making. You can expieriment with temps. and using the damper(start out with the damper wide open), but at some point I would give it some heat.[;)]
One other thing, make sure you rotate the racks top to bottom,front to back at your estimated half way point.

BrentK

Hi Scooter,

I've made a few batches of jerky also with 3 different brands of smokers.  I currently own the BS.  Internal temp with jerky depends on weather you are trying to "cook" the meat or "dry" the meat.  I've always kept my kerky temps to no more than 115F.  My strips are 1/2" thick by 1 1/2" to 2" wide.  It usually takes me about 10-14 hours to get the job done.  The beauty with the BS is that you can get low temps and smoke.  Most of the other brands can't do that.

Have a GREAT day.

BrentK
Grand Forks, ND