Want your opinions on accurate thermometers

Started by Iowabucks, July 07, 2013, 09:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iowabucks

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for an accurate thermometer.

I have the Maverick ET-73, but the food probe is way off. Smoker temp probe is only 5* off from my Auber dual probe. I can deal with that. But the food probe seems to be 20 to 40* high, once it gets around 200 it levels out and doesn't climb much more. Is there any way to calibrate those, or will a new probe help?

I overcooked and dried out some chick breast I was cooking last year because my Maverick was acting up and the meat thermometer I was using as a backup turned out to be off too.

So i'm looking for opinions on electronic and regular meat thermometers that you believe are very accurate. I need a couple real bad.

Thanks. Jerry.

Salmonsmoker

Iowa,
I think it's time for a new probe. It's possible that some moisture has gotten in at the cable connection and causing faulty readings. (I've been through several of those) Make sure you get a probe for your model. The newer model ET-732 probes have different resistance. Or, you might look at the ET- 732. Has external on/off switches, better transmission range and less prone to signal drop than the ET-72.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

devo

I have not had much luck with probes, call it unlucky or whatever but all manufacturers that make meat thermometers that is the weakest link if you ask me. I now use Red high temp RTV silicone to seal them at the top. This should be standard from the manufacture.
Now I only rely on my SPLASH-PROOF SUPER-FAST ® THERMAPEN ®. They have to be the darn best things around for measuring IT and very fast.

KyNola

Hey Jerry, before you buy another probe, try this trick.  Place the probe on a baking sheet and put it in your house oven heated to about 200-225 and leave it there for a couple hours.  That may dry the moisture out of the probe if any found its way there.  I have had to do that to mine before and they worked fine afterward.

Iowabucks

Thanks KyNola, I will give that a try.

From the limited amount of reading I have done on the subject it does sound like the Thermapen is the best.

TedEbear

Quote from: Iowabucks on July 07, 2013, 04:11:54 PM
From the limited amount of reading I have done on the subject it does sound like the Thermapen is the best.

Yes, especially if you get the blue one.   ;D

Salmonsmoker

I also have a Thermapen and love it, but you have to open the cooker to use it, causing heat loss. That's why I also have the ET-732. They make a great pair.

rveal23

Is $96.00 about the average price for these? Does anyone have a site that sells them at a better price.

I am looking for a new temp gage since it looks as though all my probes are way off.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

devo

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on July 08, 2013, 07:26:43 AM
I also have a Thermapen and love it, but you have to open the cooker to use it, causing heat loss. That's why I also have the ET-732. They make a great pair.

You must have the slow model. Mine is the british racing green one, it so fast there is no heat lose.

tskeeter

Jerry, I also use a Thermapen.  The cost for the model pictured above is right around the $100 mark.  When I bought mine, I couldn't find anywhere selling them significantly cheaper.  However, there are cheaper models that don't read quite as fast and which may not be as moisture resistant.

There are several reasons I like the Thermapen.  They are fast.  They are accurate (calibrated to with a degree or two, calibration certification provided with your thermometer).  They can be re-calibrated.  And most importantly, the sensor is at the tip of the probe, so you know where the reading is actually coming from.  Many thermometers have their sensor some place in the probe, but you don't know where.  So if you've got the probe in the center of what you are checking, you can't tell whether your reading is coming from pretty close to the center, or an inch or more closer to the outside.  Hard to get an accurate reading under those conditions.

BAM1

same as above.  Thermapen is awesome two years, same battery, no issues.  I also use an I-Grill linked to my I-Pad for longer cooks.  I've had great luck with it.
Pork Stars KCBS BBQ Team
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID/900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
Traeger Texas model w/Savannah Stoker
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Charbroil SRG
Backwoods Fatboy
KCBS CBJ

Salmonsmoker

ThermoWorks is currently running an open box sale. If they have any left. If you subscribe to their email you will receive notices when they're sent out. They only do this rarely. You have to use this link to get the special price of $74.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2013.html?utm_source=Nl-2013July9&utm_medium=email&utm_term=shop_now&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=13_summer_openbox-cs

rveal23

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on July 20, 2013, 08:28:14 AM
ThermoWorks is currently running an open box sale. If they have any left. If you subscribe to their email you will receive notices when they're sent out. They only do this rarely. You have to use this link to get the special price of $74.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen_open_box_sale_july_2013.html?utm_source=Nl-2013July9&utm_medium=email&utm_term=shop_now&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=13_summer_openbox-cs

Thanx for the info Salmonsmoker, I just registered to get the emails from them.  I'm going to hold out and keep my fingers crossed for the Openbox BACKLIT THERMAPEN, if it ever happens.

I'm just tempted to buy this and wait for the other one as well.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Although I do not have enough experience to recommend an accurate thermometer, I can recommend that this one NOT be purchased: BonJour Chef's Laser Probe Combo Surface and Internal Digital Thermometer.  My wife purchased the unit last year when we wanted to laser check the interior of the pizza oven - she though the probe feature was something that would be of benefit.

We used it exactly two times before the probe quit (the screen now reads that there is no probe).  In checking the reviews on Amazon, this is not an isolated incident.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Snoopy

I've had pretty good luck with my igrill so far cooking wise. last night had my first issue, 2 butts, probes in door closed, butt 1, around 50º butt 2 climbed to 100º within minutes. called igrill this morning and they are sending me a new probe. I plan on picking up a thermapen as well when i've got a few extra bucks, but the one feature i've found to love with the igrill and linking it to my ipad is the graph, i screwed up last night and forgot to bump my timer back up before bed, but i was able to pinpoint on the graph what time my smoker actually kicked off in the middle of the night and because it had been a short enough time kicked everything back up and was able to save it. just my 2 cents