A Truant Kummok

Started by Kummok, July 08, 2013, 12:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Time has a way of sneaking away on one sometimes....thought I'd log on and see some new fishing pics and experiences...kinda quiet on the fishing front for mid-July!

Ka Honu

Wow!  Long time no type.  Welcome home!

KyNola

Good to hear from you man.

beefmann

manxman

Great to hear from you.  :)

Fishing has picked up here almost overnight with good hauls of fish, crab and lobster in the past few days...... monster crab especially!

Water temp was a couple of degrees lower than normal and the season 4 - 6 weeks behind where it normally is. Maybe that is happening elsewhere?

Fish has taken over from pork as the main beneficiary of the Bradley Smoker treatment for a few weeks!  8)
Manxman

Tenpoint5

Good to see back around and posting!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Welcome back.

Good to see you posting again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

Still kinda crazy but should calm down a bit by Fall...the PERFECT time up here to go look for a boat deal! I did mange to get a good bike ride in during the insanity last year...Lewiston to Homer in August, but my smokers think I died...only got them out for the turkey at Thanksgiving (another BIG hit, thanX to you guys here!)

tsquared

I've been kind of truant from here too, Kummok. Fishing has been good here on Juan de Fuca Strait--tons of silvers for the past few weeks but they have gone back west to the banks to fatten up--we'll see them again in Sept/Oct as they head for the river. The pink deluge has started, which is ok until you get what you want (i smoke, then can them) then they are just  a pita whil you are looking to get chinook. There are some springs showing too--50 lber caught here in Sooke last night. As for a boat--my partner and I are having motor problems and are hauling the boat to the mechanics tomorrow morning----you know that's going to hurt! :o
Here is a toy I've been having fun catching fish from  since last August when this pic was taken. Note the local boat inspector--he's vain but he works for peanuts.

T2

iceman

I still think Kummok's original yacht was the best sailing vessel I've been on in years!  ;D

Good to hear from you buddy.

Kummok

T-Man...you are truly living large, good friend!  I'm loving the fish kayak, but seriously, you've got to quit going after peacocks, put it in the water, and bring in even more Kings!

Not one content with status quo, I've upgraded since that first boat, Iceman!

iceman

Kummok

Really have my curiosity piqued, T2....the fishing kayak is solely sail powered or does it have a little motor/engine in the rear...can't figure out how else it moves since paddles appear obstructed by the downrigger platform...Interested in doing this type fishing up here

pikeman_95

Kummok
I have to thank you so much for the great recipe. So many members have used this recipe and with out fail it is the best. Good luck of you fishing and get some smoking done.
Pikeman

tsquared

Quote from: Kummok on July 20, 2013, 09:25:35 PM
Really have my curiosity piqued, T2....the fishing kayak is solely sail powered or does it have a little motor/engine in the rear...can't figure out how else it moves since paddles appear obstructed by the downrigger platform...Interested in doing this type fishing up here
I try to troll under sail power whenever I can, Kummok but winds are fickle so I use this.
http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/miragedrive/
I usually use a 5 lb ball on the rigger (my dads old scotty circa the 70's--makes me feel good every time I use it) and I'm good for a couple of hours peddling even without the wind at 2.5 mph or so. I try and pick days where the current is not too strong and there is a breeze anywhere from 6-15 mph. The only time I use my paddle is at the launch to get out deep enough to insert the drive in. The mirage drive also has the advantage of letting you be hands free for fishing. Check out the northwest kayak anglers site -- most members are from wa.,and Oregon but there is an ak. Contigent as well--Rimfirematt, akfishergal to name a few. They are good people and will help you if they can. Be warned though, it,s addicting.
T2