Smoking Tilapia

Started by cinrds, July 13, 2010, 09:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrds

I was going to smoke some Tilapia should I use a brine or not.  I was going spice it up and use what would be a cajun rub on it?  If I should use one should I just use the standed brine recipe?

ArnieM

I've never used a brine on it.  But, then, I've never done it in the smoker either.

Usually either blackened in a fry pan with Cajun or on a cedar plank on the grill with seafood seasonng.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Arnie - Please note that I am showing atypical sensitivity to the newbie OP as well as deferring to your (otherwise) sound advice by not telling him/her what to do with his/her tilapia.

cinrds

Arnie, the only way I have done it is blackened in a pan.  Just wanted to know if someone else had done this before I do and if a brine is really needed for fish before I hot smoke it.

SnellySmokesEm

I haven't brined any fish before.  I did smoke talapia once for fish dip and it turned it turned out great.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

SnellySmokesEm

Here's some basic recipes I found:

Smoked Fish Dip

3/4 lb. smoked whitefish, trout or herring
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp. half and half cream
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon garlic
2 tbsp chives
1 tbsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp white pepper
Assorted crackers or chips

Remove skin and bones from fish and flake.
Combine all ingredients except crackers; mix thoroughly.Chill.
Serve with assorted crackers or chips.
Makes approximately 2 cups of dip.

Smoked Fish Dip (2)
     In the bowl of a Kitchenaid Mixer put:
     2 cups of smoked fish (picked over)
     1/2 cup mayonaise
     1/2 cup sour cream
     1/3 cup cream cheese
     1 tbsp real tabasco (to taste)
     1/2 tbsp salt
     1/2 tbsp white pepper
     2 tbsp celery seed
     2 tbsp chives

Mix thoroughly but not so much as to make a soupy mixture. Refrigerate for an hour or so until firm.

Im going to try this one next:
½ pound smoked fish, skin removed
(mackerel, trout, bluefish, kingfish, amberjack)
• 1 teaspoon bottled horseradish
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• 4 ounces cream cheese
• 1 tablespoon minced roasted red pepper
• ¼ teaspoon hoisin sauce
(found in the Asian section)
• 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
• Salt
• Freshly milled black pepper
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

ArnieM

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 13, 2010, 09:32:21 AM
Arnie - Please note that I am showing atypical sensitivity to the newbie OP ...

This must have been quite difficult for you KH  ;D

cinrds - This is what I got from Ka Honu as a response to my recent post on cedar planked tilapia:

"Sorry, Arnie, but we have a heavy cultural bias against tilapia in Hawaii (since they thrive in every foul water venue we have - places you wouldn't even think of swimming in).  Alan Wong (one of those world famous chef guys) wanted to try serving them in his Honolulu restaurant.  No one would order tilapia so he changed the name on the menu to "Lake Wilson Opakapaka" (sort of a local joke - Lake Wilson is a reservoir occasionally stocked with catfish).  I'd rather eat boiled ribs."
-- Arnie

cinrds

Thanks Arnie I didn't know that about Tilapia here in Oklahoma they come from a store either on ice or frozen in a bag, and I believe they are farmed raised as most of the fish we receive here. 

ArnieM

Farm-raised is the only way I can get them too.  I'm not sure I'd want to see the farm  :-\

They're OK in a pinch but I usually try to save my pennies for wild caught fish.

I had gotten salmon from Costco; farm raised.  The label (in small print) said color added.  I don't need that.
-- Arnie

pondee

My understanding is that Talapia are farm raised, in another fish's  farm and used to help clean the tanks of the "other" (more comercially viable) fish.  It was a surprise to the farmers that this utilitarian fish could be sold as people food.  Most people do no know what talapia eat, and if they did, would not eat it.  By the by, does anyone know what a lobster's diet is?

STLstyle

My wife had me set out 3 tilapia fillets for dinner...  Now I wish I didn't read this thread!
Those Costco tilapia loins are tasty no matter what they eat...
What does a lobster eat anyway???
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

rveal23

I like Tilapia! I'm not grossed out very much when it comes to food if it taste good on the pallet then I eat it.  I like my Tilapia Deep Fried!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

STLstyle

I roll it up with some crab stuffing, toothpick to hold and top with olive oil / bread crumbs then to the oven.  That's hard to beat...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

rveal23

Quote from: STLstyle on August 21, 2013, 01:08:58 PM
I roll it up with some crab stuffing, toothpick to hold and top with olive oil / bread crumbs then to the oven.  That's hard to beat...

I"ve had that as well, its the BOMB!!!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pondee

My info may be out of date  http://www.nefsc.noaa.gov/faq/fishfaq7.html

Lobsters usually move around and hunt for food at night. It was once thought that lobsters were scavengers and ate primarily dead things. However, researchers have discovered that lobsters catch mainly fresh food (except for bait) which includes fish, crabs, clams, mussels, sea urchins, and sometimes even other lobsters!

I was always told about the scavenging and eating dead things like most bottom feeders.  The point being that something eating gargabe was tasty.  Have to re-think that analogy now.

Talapia do taste alright.