A Truant Kummok

Started by Kummok, July 08, 2013, 12:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

That's an awesome set up T2! Thanks.

tsquared

Quote from: iceman on August 03, 2013, 10:18:51 AM
That's an awesome set up T2! Thanks.
Your welcome iceman! Just don't mention my name when you tell your wife you have a whole new hobby that you have to buy stuff for! ;D
T2

Kummok

The wheels are turning, T2! I like the idea of the Mirage propulsion. I've checked out the Mokai ( http://www.mokai.com/ )and like the idea but not certain of it's rough water capability, although it seems to handle rapids okay, rough seas are another story. Also, the "rod holders" they offer don't look like they'd handle the strike of a 35lb King, plus they don't seem to have any place to put a successfully landed King (...and I am definitely NOT a catch and release salmon fisher!).  TruRec out of Redding Calif ( https://truerecreation.com/ ) is offering a new fishing kayak that also looks promising and pretty stable and they at least show one on somewhat bouncy saltwater....

tsquared

Fished Otter Point yesterday morning in the yak.(It's about a 1/2 hour drive from my house.) Got a nice spring on screaming line out so I reefed the sail and turned to follow it away from the beach and tried to wave 2 guys off in a 17.5 Double Eagle going west but it was too late and the fish was tangled on their rigger. So i turned to follow them west still yelling and they realized what was going on and brought their gear up. My fish was still on but was hopelessly tangled with their line and rigger so they netted it and dropped it into my net. After we untangled I told them shallow at 2nd rock. As one of them said--the fish is in the boat and that's what matters! Passed them later and they got one in the same spot. Good karma comes through. By the time I got squared away i was off the point and the tide was ripping too much for me, so called it a day. There was another yak fisher at the same spot and he got a nice spring too. The power boaters were laughing and saying the yaks are out fishing us!This baby goes into the brine this AM for another batch of your strips.

My house looks like a fish camp right now--coolers, canners, smokers strewn all over! Gotta get all this done as i start back to work soon.
T2

Kummok

I'm impressed! Great adventure AND you came home with the King...does it get any better?!? Your story reminds me of a few years back when I was hooked up with a very nice feeder King stripping off line and smoking the reel brake when a very big catamaran named, 'Winter King' crossed behind us between our boat and my King...for a second or two I was hooked up to a 3 ton Winter King then SNAP, both were gone. I'm still able to say that I caught a 3 ton Winter King in the Cook Inlet! ;)

I'm convinced that yaking is the fun way to catch Kings!

tsquared

Quote from: Kummok on August 18, 2013, 11:47:37 PM
I'm impressed! Great adventure AND you came home with the King...does it get any better?!? Your story reminds me of a few years back when I was hooked up with a very nice feeder King stripping off line and smoking the reel brake when a very big catamaran named, 'Winter King' crossed behind us between our boat and my King...for a second or two I was hooked up to a 3 ton Winter King then SNAP, both were gone. I'm still able to say that I caught a 3 ton Winter King in the Cook Inlet! ;)

I'm convinced that yaking is the fun way to catch Kings!
Damn, Kummok--if you're winter kings are 3 tons, imagine hooking into a summer run! ;D
T2