cold smoked pork chops

Started by sage03, August 02, 2013, 01:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sage03

Okay guys here I go...I'm not sure if this topic has been covered before but I will throw it out anyways. I was down in Charleston,SC a couple weeks ago..ended up dining at SNOBS...Slightly North Of Broad. I ordered the smoked Pork Chops...which turned out awesome and which I later found out were cold smoked. So I asked our server how they did it.....very easy...cold smoke for 1-2 hrs then grilled...their chops were appx. 2" thick.I figured I can do this too...did a little searching around found some info...cold smoke then vac-seal for about 1 week. I cold smoked 4 thickcut chops w/apple wood for 2.5 hrs...temp never got above 80...this with ice in the DBS. Vac-sealed for 1 wk then on to grill w/salt and pepper. These turned out simply amazing I can't wait to try this again...so simple and so good 8)

Saber 4

Sounds good, where's the pictures? We like to take the thick cut chops with just some kosher salt and pepper and smoke them for 3 hours of Pecan or Apple at 220 to an IT of 140-145 (always been moist with no pink)

If you try it put up some pics and let me know how you liked it.

rveal23

Damn, I have to remember not to come onto this until after I have had my lunch.. I'm starving now!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

looks really tasty, Saber  ;)

sage03, cold smoking the meats before cooking them sounds like a good technique - must give it a go. 

In winter when it is too cold outside to properly smoke/cook, I'll throw chicken on the smoker for a couple of hours, then cook it in a 300F oven.  If it's snowing outside, that makes the smoked chicken taste all the better.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

watchdog56

Ka Honu

I'd recommend hot smoking only for poultry.  Too many food safety issues for cold smoke there. The conventional wisdom is to hot smoke for flavor and then if you want crisp skin, finish at a higher temp (often in an oven, on the grill, etc.).