Auber dual probe questions.

Started by JohnM70, July 13, 2013, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

Hi all, some questions on the Auber single/dual PID. Since I had problems with temperature fluctuation I am going to purchase the Auber PID very soon before the next smoke. I like the idea of the dual probes. I can see the need for temperature control for some meats, salmon for one, which I intend to do a lot of smoking. I would think that you would not use the second probe to control the oven temp on something like pork butt and/or brisket. Since I am a fat magnet when I insert the probe I would not like the oven to shut off at 0:dark-thirty and leave me with lots of hours to make up. I have a Maverick and set the top end alarm so I at least have the opportunity to check with a second temp probe. What do you do to get around this problem?
Also, I plan to upgrade the 500W element to 900W or install a second 500W element. I have read many of the posts on the elements and  I just have not decided which one to use. The paralysis of analysis!  :-\
I probably know answer to the temp probe issue but I would like to hear from this august group of smokers.  :D
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

GusRobin

I don't use the second probe to control cook time. Like you said, I would hate for it to go off on the wrong temp because I was in a fat pocket. I use the second probe mostly to check the temp of my second piece of meat (usually have the maverick in the first).
Get the free hanging probe not the wall mounted probe.
I got the dual elements for the flexibility.  I hooked them separate so that if the PID goes out I can shut one off and just use the one element. Or if one element goes i don't lose the cook.

Hope this helps.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

JohnM70

Thanks Gus,  for the response. I have my plan... now you are going to make me work more. :)
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"