First time cold smoking (cheese) experience

Started by pz, July 13, 2013, 10:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rveal23

PZ, I forgot to comment back on the Muenster that I had smoked the last time. My provolone and cheddar came out great however the Muenster came out pretty week. Next time I think I need to smoke it a bit longer.  I only smoked it for 1hr and used apple. Next time I do Muenster Ill do 1.5-2 hours to get the flavor I like.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

That was a good looking spread, can't wait for October 1st!!!!!!

How much thyme did you put in the bread for seasoning?

pz

Quote from: rveal23 on September 20, 2013, 03:29:20 PM
PZ, I forgot to comment back on the Muenster that I had smoked the last time. My provolone and cheddar came out great however the Muenster came out pretty week. Next time I think I need to smoke it a bit longer.  I only smoked it for 1hr and used apple. Next time I do Muenster Ill do 1.5-2 hours to get the flavor I like.

Sounds very reasonable rveal23 - I feel the same about my Muenster, and will increase the smoke next time.

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 20, 2013, 05:54:41 PM
That was a good looking spread, can't wait for October 1st!!!!!!

How much thyme did you put in the bread for seasoning?

Thanks Saber!  We didn't measure - my wife pulled a few sprigs out of the garden and then we peeled off the tender leaves.  If I had to guess, I would say about 3-4 tablespoons of the dried thyme.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

Thanks, have you ever mixed the thyme with rosemary in the bread? it works so good on poultry I'm wondering how it would be in bread.

pz

Although we have not tried both together yet, I would think that it would be quite good.  Unfortunately our rosemary plant died last year and we have not replaced it yet, but once we do, we're planning to do bread plus something we've not done yet - make finishing salt using herbs like rosemary, thyme, and others.  Smoked salt is also on the agenda.

We recently visited Kestrel winery in Prosser, Washington, and they had quite a few finishing salts, including the ones I mentioned above.  They were so good that we want to try our had at making them ourselves - they were very expensive and we thing that we can do just as good a job for a fraction of the price.

I think that's some of the fun of cooking - observe what others have been clever enough to do, and then replicate on your own to save lots of $
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

I love doing the smoked salt, it means never having to have empty racks anymore. I will be looking forward to your herbed finishing salts adventure, it sounds like an awesome product.

Richardson1976

I bought a wedgie for smoking cheese works great. Load it up and it smokes for two hours. Temp stays between 70-90.