Ordered the Auber dual probe PID

Started by JohnM70, July 16, 2013, 04:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM70

Well if finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Auber Dual Probed PID. After reading and trying to digest all the information on the PID and partially driving myself nuts I decided to bite the bullet. What I have learned is to always remember that I have a 4 rack DBS and sometimes the information pertains to other models. I am going to get comfortable with the PID before venturing into upgrading/adding an element and fan.  Hopefully the learning curve will be short and the additional modifications will be completed by the end of October. It is too hot to play outside now so getting my knowledge of the PID down first will be my focus.

It is cold here in SD during  the late fall and winter and I want to make sure the recover/cooking times can be kept to a minimum. Actually there are only 2 seasons in the upper mid-west... winter and construction ;D

I plan to post my questions and adventures in this thread so as to keep a log for me.

I well posting soon.

John
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

rveal23

Congrats! And keep us posted on how u like it.
I'm on the fence on purchasing one so hope to hear great things!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

devo

When you get it, you might say what the heck.......how do I program this sucker. There are a lot of good people here to help you get started. I have a bookmark for this very reason and I would post it but I,m on my son iPad. I will try to post the link later. It goes in depth on how to program it. Very good read for the first timers of a pid.

pz

After reading the many posts on the advantages of a PID, I've decided to get the Auber dual probe - I noticed that it is on special at the Auber site - $14.80 off regular price.

EDIT: I just bit the bullet and made the purchase.  Thank for the instrux link devo; that should be very helpful the next time I smoke salmon.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

JohnM70

Quote from: devo on July 16, 2013, 05:54:52 PM
Ahh here ya go......this should help when you get it

Thanks Devo, I had found that post and continue to review the information. Kind of reminds me of a quote about great people think alike.  8)
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

TonyL222

Quote from: JohnM70 on July 17, 2013, 06:29:09 AM
Quote from: devo on July 16, 2013, 05:54:52 PM
Ahh here ya go......this should help when you get it

Thanks Devo, I had found that post and continue to review the information. Kind of reminds me of a quote about great people think alike.  8)

That post took me out of the Auber PID wilderness, and made it all clear for me.  Now PID programming is like riding a bike.  The good thing is that having a PID is pretty much a requirement for an element upgrade (dual or 900w).  The Bradley is a completely different machine with an element upgrade.

beefmann

Quote from: JohnM70 on July 16, 2013, 04:08:41 PM
Well if finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Auber Dual Probed PID. After reading and trying to digest all the information on the PID and partially driving myself nuts I decided to bite the bullet. What I have learned is to always remember that I have a 4 rack DBS and sometimes the information pertains to other models. I am going to get comfortable with the PID before venturing into upgrading/adding an element and fan.  Hopefully the learning curve will be short and the additional modifications will be completed by the end of October. It is too hot to play outside now so getting my knowledge of the PID down first will be my focus.

It is cold here in SD during  the late fall and winter and I want to make sure the recover/cooking times can be kept to a minimum. Actually there are only 2 seasons in the upper mid-west... winter and construction ;D

I plan to post my questions and adventures in this thread so as to keep a log for me.

I well posting soon.

John

congrats on the duel probe, do the auto tune when you  get it , and use it  for a  while, when you  do the upgrade/s do them all at once and run the auto tune again to adjust to the new upgrades

devo

I found no need to auto tune the plug and play model. Works right out of the box, even after I did the mods to my smoker there was no need to auto tune.

TonyL222

Quote from: devo on July 18, 2013, 02:28:06 PM
I found no need to auto tune the plug and play model. Works right out of the box, even after I did the mods to my smoker there was no need to auto tune.

According to word I got from Suyi at Auber, for the dual element all you really need to do is change the P value from 70 to 140 - but autotune is much more fun  ;)

rexster

All I did on mine was change the P value as above. I have absolutely no complaints on how this thing works, it just works like it should
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

JohnM70

rexster, you have some hardware there, you must have a large contingent of family and friends... O I just noticed you are from Texas.  ;D

So far FedEx is scheduled to deliver the PID on Saturday. I will have a couple of days to figure things out. Monday I am smoking some spareribs for the grand children.

I am going to use the 3-2-1 method for cooking.  during the 2 and 1 cycles is there a way to put the PID on hold so that the foil wrap and unwrap can happen without needing to adjust the times? Or should I just add 5 minutes to the times and set a reminder/alarm?

I should wait and read the manual then ask but I wanted a head start.

John

devo

JohnM70

I'm sure the  3-2-1 method is not all that critical that you have to stick to those exact times  ;)

After the foil you might find them done sooner or may take a bit longer. So for the five or ten minutes that you are foiling them its not going to matter

rexster

Quote from: JohnM70 on July 19, 2013, 08:27:07 AM
rexster, you have some hardware there, you must have a large contingent of family and friends... O I just noticed you are from Texas.  ;D

John

Thanks for the comments. The big pit I have is over 20 yrs old, I'm on my 3rd firebox for it. One burns out, it gets cut out and another one welded on. Doctors and mechanics need specialized tools, so do outside bbq'ers!
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

TonyL222

I usually just program my 3 and 2 stages to 3.5 and 2.5.  Gives me up to 30 minutes to put on my brown sugar/honey/butter and foil wrap with a little apple juice for stage 2, and unwrap and sauce for stage 3.  If it doesn't take that long (and it never has), I put the meat back in the smoker and change the time parameter on the PID to match the current time and the next cycle kicks in.  I use the count down timer on my cell phone (could do the same with the Maverick) to count 2 hrs, and again for the 1 hr.