Shoulder Clod vs Eye of Round

Started by alseguin, July 25, 2013, 03:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alseguin

Hello everyone.

The big family bash is getting closer and I have added a temperature controller to my Bradley which I built from instructions shown on this forum. I built it in a round tin container I picked up at the dollar store. It works great and I don't seem to need an extra element in the Bradley to keep the temp up. I love this setup and now I can smoke or slow cook with confidence.

OK, here's the question. I've been planning on using a Beef clod that I can purchase from a distributer for $6.00 a kilo. However, I just took a look at the Freshco flyer and Eye of Round is on special fro $4.41/kg this week. Does anyone know how this cut compares to the clod when done in the same manner as the clod (nice and slow around 225)? The Eye is a lot leaner and would be easier to handle in the smoker. I think that there would also be a lot less shrinkage so I'd get more beef for the buck. I'm just wondering if the results would be just as good. Also, buying it this week to be used at the end of August means freezing it till then and I wonder if that might affect the outcome ..... with 60 people coming I don't want the family excommunicating me LOL.
Any experience with this cut appreciated. I've used it a lot for jerky but some of the old folks coming can't chew that well LOL.

Saber 4

Freezing shouldn't be a problem, just thaw in the fridge for a day before needed so it thaws smoothly. I would think the clod would have more flavor and moistness but with that many people I would probably get some of both with a couple of extra to experiment with. Some of the more experienced guys will be along later and may suggest ways to start smoking early and freeze smoked with good reheating instructions on the day of the event. How ever you go keep us posted and don't forget the pictures and have a great gathering.

beefmann

both would work, id figure 45 lbs raw that  would allow for  shrinkage along with side dishes to make everyone happy

alseguin

OK ... a little off subject but I wanted to show the pics of my cookie can temp controller. Here they are.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200856632271251&l=1b8ede4fe2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200856657871891&l=f69df99254

It was fun to make with the great instructions posted on this site.

alseguin

Quote from: Saber 4 on July 25, 2013, 05:45:59 AM
Freezing shouldn't be a problem, just thaw in the fridge for a day before needed so it thaws smoothly. I would think the clod would have more flavor and moistness but with that many people I would probably get some of both with a couple of extra to experiment with. Some of the more experienced guys will be along later and may suggest ways to start smoking early and freeze smoked with good reheating instructions on the day of the event. How ever you go keep us posted and don't forget the pictures and have a great gathering.

That's a pretty good idea to cook ahead and freeze if anyone has done it successfully. It'll take a lot of stress off me. I'm a one man show for most everything.

pz

Quote from: alseguin on July 25, 2013, 06:54:42 AM
That's a pretty good idea to cook ahead and freeze if anyone has done it successfully. It'll take a lot of stress off me. I'm a one man show for most everything.

I love it; a temperature controller in a can!

The only problem I've ever had with freezing is freezer burn when I have frozen relatively long term, and have not used a vacuum sealer.

As to freezing already smoked (or any other food), if you store in a vacuum sealed bag, you can gently reheat the food in a pot of water on the stove to bring it back to temperature - your guests will likely not notice much, if any difference between that and the freshly prepared meats.

I always use vacuum sealing when I purchase fresh meats in bulk, of when I have smoked a large quantity and want to divide into meal-sized portions.
My online cookbook: good food & friends

rveal23

Quote from: alseguin on July 25, 2013, 06:51:05 AM
OK ... a little off subject but I wanted to show the pics of my cookie can temp controller. Here they are.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200856632271251&l=1b8ede4fe2

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200856657871891&l=f69df99254

It was fun to make with the great instructions posted on this site.

This is pretty cool, mini can controller!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill