Smoked Rainbow trout

Started by bubbles, July 26, 2013, 12:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbles

Smoked some Rainbow Trout on holidays recently, thought I'd share a few pics.

1 part Kosher salt
1.5 parts brown sugar
chopped garlic

Wet brined for 8 hours, gave it a cold rinse. Pic of the fish drying on a cool windy day. It's all about the pellicle !

My Bradley wouldn't fit in my car so I dusted  off the cob webs (literally) on this smoker that I borrowed.

2 hours at the lowest setting -no smoke- , occasionally removing the door. Then the gong show began when I tried to keep the temp down whilst having the pan hot enough to burn chips.

And the final product.

The trout was way too salty at first . It mellowed out after a few days and was pretty good. Next time less brine time and soak the fish in fresh water afterwards.
   Any tips for next year on how to get these chips to burn without having to cook my fish @ 400 degrees ? Perhaps using a foil pie plate instead of the cast iron pan in the pic. I sure missed my Bradley.

pikeman_95

Give this a try. Go to the Good Will store or some thrift store and buy a cake pan with a lid that fits on it. What you are looking for a rectangular pan that you can modify. Now get yourself an electric charcoal starter. Cut a slot in the end of the cake pan so the electric charcoal starter will fit inside. Fill the pan with chips and plug in the charcoal starter. With the element directly in the chips it will smoke like crazy. Make sure that you keep the cover on the pan. I have made these our of small table top grills that I make a top for them and they work great..
Here is a counter top electric grill that I converted and the other picture is the charcoal starter. If you want to reduce the heat you can pipe the smoke in by putting some sort of cover to direct the smoke into your smoker. You can also use a small timer to switch the element on and off to cut the time that it is actually running in the chips.