Spatchcocked Turkey's

Started by Saber 4, July 27, 2013, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz

Makin' me drool Saber! No way I can make it in an hour  ;D
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

Well pz we ended up with wild rice instead of scalloped potatoes but here's a picture to keep you drooling away.

The turkey was so moist and tender it needed no gravy or sauce just a knife and fork. ;D

rveal23

one of these days we will have smell a vision
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

pz

Dang, Saber; I'm going to need to quit looking at forum posts before lunch!  ;D

Seriously, that looks absolutely delicious  ;)
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

Quote from: pz on July 30, 2013, 01:17:37 PM
Dang, Saber; I'm going to need to quit looking at forum posts before lunch!  ;D

Seriously, that looks absolutely delicious  ;)

I know what you mean, I have to quit looking after dinner so I can stay out of the fridge late at night

Quote from: rveal23 on July 30, 2013, 09:10:41 AM
one of these days we will have smell a vision

I wish someone would hurry up and invent smell a vision, I get hungry looking at everyone's pictures :D

SiFumar

Nice color!  Nothing like smoked turkey!

STLstyle

I really like the looks of that!  Very nice. I too am not afraid of heavy smoke...
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

JohnM70

I am going to smoke a 12lbs turkey this weekend and plan to spatchcock. I viewed various ways to  debone a turkey but it seems all want to completely  debone the bird. I want it to look like Saber4's. I can take the backbone our with no trouble. To divide into halves  it seems all I would need to do is separate each breast from the breast bone like I would do carving a whole turkey. Should Ii break the breast bone first, then carve it out?
Sometime back I did see a YouTube video and the separated the turkey like I want. Can't find the video.   

This has got to be simple as normal I am making it complicated.
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

tskeeter

Quote from: JohnM70 on August 29, 2013, 02:39:50 PM
I am going to smoke a 12lbs turkey this weekend and plan to spatchcock. I viewed various ways to  debone a turkey but it seems all want to completely  debone the bird. I want it to look like Saber4's. I can take the backbone our with no trouble. To divide into halves  it seems all I would need to do is separate each breast from the breast bone like I would do carving a whole turkey. Should Ii break the breast bone first, then carve it out?
Sometime back I did see a YouTube video and the separated the turkey like I want. Can't find the video.   

This has got to be simple as normal I am making it complicated.

John, looking at Saber's pictures, it looks like he cut out both the backbone and the breast bone.  You can cut out the breast bone by using the slight crease in the skin to locate the breast bone, and then use a heavy knife to separate the keel from the ribs.  (This will be easier if you flatten the carcase first.)  If you have a pair of heavy kitchen shears or poultry shears, those would work even better than a heavy knife to cut out the breast bone as you won't have to flatten the carcase.

Saber 4

I just cut the backbone out, then like tskeeter said I sliced down the breast bone, then turned it over and applied a little pressure to both sides till the back bone cracked then I used my shears to cut through the rest of the bone and it was done, give it a shot, you will find it really easy and intuitive when you get the backbone out. Be sure to make a post of the results of the spatchcocking and smoking