Smoked chicken breasts

Started by Roget, July 27, 2013, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roget

Tried out my new smokehouse today on some chicken breasts.

Injected with teriyaki marinade & soy sauce.
In fridge overnight.

Into Bradley W/oak @ 230F.

1:20 smoke + 1:10 cook time = IT 160F

Just a little dry, but flavor was spot on.
The smoke was perfect. Very noticeable but not overpowering.
Next time I will pull at maybe 155-158F.

My first time for chicken breasts so I didn't know what to expect. I do a lot more pork than chicken but my wife says the chicken is healthier, so.....

YCDBSOYA

SiFumar

Saber 4

Looks good, I bet it tasted as good as it looks

Habanero Smoker

When I'm cooking only the breast, I only take them to 155°F; their is generally no carry over. If the IT rises at all it will be less than 2 degrees. If you cook them with the skin on, and bone in they come out much better. If you don't like the skin or are removing it for dietary reasons; apply your rub (if using one) both underneath and over the skin. Then discard the skin, when they are finished cooking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Roget

These were frozen breasts, which may have contributed to the lack of moisture. I don't really know.
I usually keep frozen on hand just for convenience sake, but maybe I should purchase fresh breasts when using to smoke.

YCDBSOYA

rveal23

Chicken looks good. Simple adjustments for your next smoke will make a huge difference. Practice makes perfect!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

beefmann

rveal23

I was busy smoking this weekend, and did some Skinless chicken breast.

I  added some oil to the breast to adhere the spices.
I then smoked them at 180 for about 3-4hrs till IT was 165.

Cut them up and they were moist as hell, however the "skin"
was a bit tough. What measure can I do next time to try to avoid this?
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Habanero Smoker

You should cook uncured chicken at a higher temperature; at least 200°F, 225°F would be safer. When I smoke chicken in the Bradley, I would apply 1 - 2 hours of smoke, the move them to a hot grill, or under a broiler, or to a hot oven to bring up to temperature and crisp the skin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

rveal23

Habanero, your are correct. I started them off low and then bumped it up to 220 for the last 2hours. Forgot to mention that.. (have a massive migraine, and yet still on the forum and work.. LOL)

However I think I will take your advice on pulling them off and putting them on the grill to finish them off.

Also question for you.. your Handle Name is that because you like Habanero's?
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Habanero Smoker

I do love habaneros, but when I was signing up I was going to us a handle such with hot smoker in it. Then I figured that was too common, so since habaneros are hot, it's my way of say Hot Smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

rveal23

Great Name! I love really hot chilies, have tons of Habaneros growing in the garden and a couple of ghost peppers as well.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Habanero Smoker

I love heat, but not to overpowering. I do have some ground ghost pepper, but haven't tried it yet. I may give it a try in a few days.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RFT

Just did some thighs yesterday.   came out very moist and delicious.  120 min. smoke(jim beam and 2 hickory) @200degrees for 3 hrs.  I left the skin on for that purpose.  I discarded the skin when done.
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

rveal23

Quote from: RFT on August 16, 2013, 09:09:46 AM
Just did some thighs yesterday.   came out very moist and delicious.  120 min. smoke(jim beam and 2 hickory) @200degrees for 3 hrs.  I left the skin on for that purpose.  I discarded the skin when done.

I also made some with the skin. Added rub under and above the skin. When they came out all the fat on the skin was rendered and then discarded the skin, and everything came out awesome.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill