Smoked chicken breasts

Started by Roget, July 27, 2013, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragweed

Get yourself a counter top and you won't have to throw away the skin!!

Saber 4

Quote from: ragweed on August 16, 2013, 06:37:26 PM
Get yourself a counter top and you won't have to throw away the skin!!

I'll second that Joe.

rveal23

I wonder why they crisp up in the counter top version but makes leather in the 4 & 6 Rack?

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Quote from: rveal23 on August 17, 2013, 05:59:26 PM
I wonder why they crisp up in the counter top version but makes leather in the 4 & 6 Rack?

I'd say it's the convection heating/oven capability that crisps the skin up in the counter top model

pondee

Quote from: RFT on August 16, 2013, 09:09:46 AM
Just did some thighs yesterday.   came out very moist and delicious.  120 min. smoke(jim beam and 2 hickory) @200degrees for 3 hrs.  I left the skin on for that purpose.  I discarded the skin when done.

Hi:  Is that 2 hours smoke AND 3 hours @ 200= 5 hours total or 2 hours of smoke out of a total of 3 hours @ 200?  Thanks

pondee

This weekend I'm planning on some ribs (3-2-1) (dry rub with sauce on the side, I like a dry rub, my family likes them sauced)and chicken breasts.  The plan is to place the breasts in the smoker after the first 1.5 hours of smoking the ribs, giving the breasts 1.5 hours of smoke.  Thinking about using maple (or should I use the Bradleys Special Blend?).  Using a remote read therometer in the breasts and take them to 155 IT.  Keep them warm until the ribs are done, or just eat them tight away.  My first time with each.

Should I brine the breasts prior to getting a rub and cooking?
Anyone see a problem with the plan?

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Maybe add them when there is about 1 hour of smoke left. Breast really pick up smoke. An IT of 155°F looks good, that is about when I take my breast out.

If you do smoke/cook this way, and are not eating the breast right away; you may be holding your breast for some time. What I would do is after you foil the ribs, add the chicken and then apply another 1 to 1:40 hours of smoke, during the end of the 2 hour foil. That way you will not be holding your chicken that long. And yes! I would brine, unless the package states that at least a 5% solution has been injected, but I've never seen that labeled on chicken parts. Chicken breast dries out fast, so wrap them tight with some low sodium chicken broth, while you are holding them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pondee

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 22, 2013, 01:26:32 PM
Maybe add them when there is about 1 hour of smoke left. Breast really pick up smoke. An IT of 155°F looks good, that is about when I take my breast out.

If you do smoke/cook this way, and are not eating the breast right away; you may be holding your breast for some time. What I would do is after you foil the ribs, add the chicken and then apply another 1 to 1:40 hours of smoke, during the end of the 2 hour foil. That way you will not be holding your chicken that long. And yes! I would brine, unless the package states that at least a 5% solution has been injected, but I've never seen that labeled on chicken parts. Chicken breast dries out fast, so wrap them tight with some low sodium chicken broth, while you are holding them.

Thank you.  I'll give that a try.  Suggestion on smoke for the chicken?

Habanero Smoker

Almost any flavor works with chicken. I prefer the fruit woods, such as maple or apple, but I will also frequently use pecan or oak if the rub I'm using is very spicy, or kind of like a Tex-Mex flavor profile. If you want something a little stronger use hickory. I've never tried cherry, or mesquite on chicken. As a matter of fact I haven't used mesquite in a long time, I may revisit my thoughts on mesquite and start using it again.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pondee

Habanero Smoker:

Thanks.  Followed your advise re the chicken breasts, worked very well.  Thanks again

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: pondee on August 24, 2013, 08:21:09 PM
Habanero Smoker:

Thanks.  Followed your advise re the chicken breasts, worked very well.  Thanks again

Glad to hear your chicken breast turned out well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.