cold smoked salmon

Started by bubbles, July 25, 2013, 10:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbles

Hi, I'm looking to do my first attempt at cold smoking salmon. Is it reasonably safe to cold smoke fresh wild sockeye ? It was purchased at a supermarket. I've researched were it is preferable to use previously frozen. Is it advisable to freeze it for several days afterward ?
   I'm wishing to use just a dry brine for my 1st try. I've read suggested brine times from 8 hrs to several days (gravlox). Any comments for suggested brine times would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3rensho

I've only used fresh salmon for cold smoking.  I typically dry brine mine for 12-14 hours.  Brine I use is two parts sea salt to one part brown sugar and add herbs that you like.  I grind up a few bay leaves, some rosemary and a clove of garlic and mix thoroughly with the salt/sugar mix.  After the smoke I put it in a plastic bag in the refer for 24 hrs and then portion it, vacuum pack and freeze until needed.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Habanero Smoker

I'm kind of parcel to Best Smoked Salmon (LOX) recipe. I only use this recipe, and always get consistent results. Sometime I will do what 3rensho does, but adding herbs and spices to the cure before applying it to the fish.

As for freezing the salmon before curing, it is felt that it changes the texture, and make it more firm. The second reason, they say to freeze salmon that will not be cooked prior to eating, is to kill any potential parasites that may be in the fish. The salt is not enough to kill these parasites, for the amount of time you are brining.

Don't quote me on this. :) But I believe all commercial fresh fish are flash frozen for transportation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bubbles

Went ahead and brined for 13 hours, turned out pretty good, thanks guys.

tsquared

I did 6 sides of wild chinook yesterday following spy guy's recipe except for adding a little fresh rosemary to the liquid brine--turned out great. I served up some to dinner guests last night for appies and it disappeared instantly to rave reviews.
T2

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tsquared on July 29, 2013, 09:03:43 AM
I did 6 sides of wild chinook yesterday following spy guy's recipe except for adding a little fresh rosemary to the liquid brine--turned out great. I served up some to dinner guests last night for appies and it disappeared instantly to rave reviews.
T2

I will add herbs to the liquid brine next time I make Spy Guy's Lox.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)