Smoked steelhead as a breakfast ingredient

Started by pz, August 05, 2013, 11:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pz

Smoked a couple of steelhead filets the other day and had it for dinner - succulent with delicate alder smoke, and a rub consisting of smoked paprika, a bit of cumin, thyme, and a tablespoon of brown sugar.  One thing we enjoy about smoking food is coming up with (for us) are different ways to enjoy the smoked products.  The below is a variation of other poached egg dishs we have tried, but we have never used smoked steelhead as the meat protein.

The next morning we were leaning toward more of the steelhead for breakfast, but wanted to incorporate it into a more brunchy kind of dish.  We still had some of the crusty bread my wife made the other day, so this is what we ended up with:

Ingredients (per person)

• Small portion of smoked steelhead filet (alder)
  • Thick slice of crusty homemade bread
  • Homemade "Hollandaise" sauce", which is really only mayonaise mixed with some mustard and pickle juice
  • one poached egg

Click images to zoom

My wife likes to add a dollop of the Hollandaise on top of her poached egg, with the bread dry

I like to "butter" the bread with the Hollandaise, then break the poached egg over the fish, and top with a good amount of black pepper

Paired with a chilled sparkling Cava and good weather (mid 70F), and this was a Sunday to remember
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

NePaSmoKer

I thought Hollandaise was egg yolk, melted butter, lemon juice, salt?

Thats how my famous uncle makes it.

Mork Mork Mork

pz

Yes, I think it is, but my wife likes the easy way out, and we both like the flavor - we definitely are using liberty when using the term "Hollandaise"  ;D

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

pz

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 05, 2013, 07:52:28 PM
Thinking I could eat that!

Thanks Tenpoint5; at first I was not completely convinced, but my wife loves poached eggs so I went along.  I must admit that the rich fatty egg yolk running into the smoked steelhead looked great, and was fabulous on the palate.