Newbie from Saskatchewan

Started by Bigredcat, August 05, 2013, 04:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigredcat

Hi all! I have started my adventure into the smoking world with the purchase of a Bradley 4 rack digital smoker. Love it! I've had good success with wings, pork butt, ribs and some appies, and am looking forward to experimenting some more with the help of all you seasoned vets and eager beginners. I have built a cedar cabinet to house my smoker, and to help cope with the challenges of the Saskatchewan climate. I would like to post a few pics if someone can give me some pointers on how to upload photos to the forum.

pz

Eager beginner here; hi there from Idaho!

Here's a tutorial on how to create an album and post pics: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?488-Answers-To-Bradley-Smoker-FAQ-s&p=768#post768
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Saber 4

Welcome from Texas, congrats on your new addiction. I am looking forward to the pictures of your ongoing journey.

ragweed

Welcome to the forum from Nebraska.

Bigredcat

Thanks PZ, I am going to give this a try. The cabinet is built completely of cedar, with the exception of the interior shelves and the pull-out shelf (which I trimmed with cedar).

The smoker is set at a comfortable working height, with a storage area for smoker pucks and accessories underneath.

I also included a pull-out shelf for holding stuff while I am loading and unloading the smoker.

I hope this will allow me to use the smoker in less-than-ideal weather. It also looks pretty good on the deck.

pz

Dang, did you build that cabinet, Bigredcat?  That looks really great, and I wish I had the skills to create something like that for my smoking center  ;)

Bigredcat

Thanks pz. I did build it myself. I wanted to try and extend my smoking season, hoping that the cabinet will help in keeping the temperature up in cold weather, and the generator dry in wet weather. I've never tried cold smoking, but after seeing some of the great ideas in this forum I think I could move the generator to the bottom shelf and pipe the smoke up to the Bradley; another construction project coming up.

pz

Looking forward to pics of your project  ;)

Cold smoking is likely going to be  a favorite of mine with the Bradley.  I need to build something one of these days - just have not figured out exactly what I want to accomplish given the constraints of my back deck.

rveal23

Bigredcat, great cabinet! Welcome to this awesome forum. We have many experienced smokers with great advice for pretty much everything.
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Ketch22

Welcome to the forum from nj  :) Real nice Job

Mr Walleye

Hi Bigredcat and welcome to the forum.

Outstanding job on the cabinet build!  8)
I really love the idea of the shelf and I guarantee you'll always be using it. Great ingenuity.  ;)

Where abouts are you from in SK. I'm from Moose Jaw.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bigredcat

Hey Mr. Walleye. I am in Spy Hill, near the Manitoba border.

KyNola

Welcome to the forum!  Really nice job on that cabinet.

Snoopy

welcome from WA, can't wait to build a cabinet or build it into the garage, depends on the house we buy next year.