need tips for first shot at pulled pork

Started by Tiffin, August 06, 2013, 07:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffin

So ive been wanting to take my shot at making pulled pork. I happened to find 2 bone in skin on picnic shoulders for cheap so that is what i will be using. Each is about 4.5 kg each. Intend to smoke 4 hours with hickory. So firstly, do i need to trim any skin or fat before cooking? what is the approximate time it might take to cook so i know how to plan around my schedule accordingly. And what are some simple spices to put on it. I have tried doing what everyone says and put a heavy coating of rubs on meats but i never appreciate it, my stomach cant handle all the spices for some reason and i personally prefer to taste the natural flavors of the meat anyway, so just a few simple spices that will bring out the flavor.
And the IT im aiming for is 190 am i correct?
I believe thats all i need to know.
Thanks in advance!
Tiffin

Oh and if you want to direct me to a great sauce recipe that will go with it for after that wouldnt be bad either!
BDS4 unmodified

Saber 4

I just did two 5lb bone in shoulders and they took about 14 hours to get to an IT of 185 with the smoker set at 220, I keep hot water in the puck bowl during the smoke and then switch to a disposable 9x13 cake pan with hot water. I use a dry rub from a company in San Antonio but if you have issues with the spices you could do just kosher salt and ground pepper and that would bring out the flavor of the meat and the smoke you want. I haven't tried my hand at making my own sauces so you could check the recipe site or someone else will be along shortly with their methods and sauce recipes. Don't be afraid to experiment and keep us posted with updates and pictures.

KyNola

Folks much more knowledgeable than me will come along to correct my advice to you but until they do these are my thoughts.  Cut the skin completely off of the picnics.  If you can't handle a bunch of spices simply rub the picnics down with vegetable oil or some other neutral flavor oil and then apply salt and pepper as liberally or sparingly as you can handle.

Preheat your Bradley to 225, run 4 hours of smoke and then cook until you hit your target IT.  Remember there will be a stall of the IT so just let it happen.  One final thing, picnics typically don't pull as readily as the butt end but you should have some good pork.  If it doesn't pull to your liking simply chop it.

hal4uk

I might be corrected, as well... (I don't generally do picnics), but I'm guessing you might want to go to 200... ?
Someone will come along with the right temp for ya.

I take butts -- or whole shoulders (probed in the butt) to 195+.
Since the picnic is skinnier -- it's gotta be hotter?  well, that's why I'm thinking 200.
Might be way off base on that though---just thinking out loud.
Someone will be along with some good advice....
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tiffin on August 06, 2013, 07:40:58 PMSo firstly, do i need to trim any skin or fat before cooking?

I trim the skin completely off (to make pork rinds with later) and any surface fat down to a thin layer.

what is the approximate time it might take to cook

We say to use an hour and a half per pound for planning purposes (for one piece of meat) but two at a time will take more (unless they take less which can also happen). With what you've got (after trimming) I'd plan for about 14 hours at 225o but wouldn't be surprised at anything between 10 and 20 hours.  As the others have noted, cook to the desired IT - it will be done when it's done (and two seemingly identical picnics may be done at significantly different times).

what are some simple spices to put on it.

I like Jan's Rub (on the recipe site) a lot but if you don't want that many spices, you can use anything or pretty near nothing. Take a look at Meathead's Memphis Dust at amazingribs.com - it's pretty light and easily modified.

And the IT im aiming for is 190 am i correct?

You might want to fork test at about 190o but I'd plan on taking it to about 200o.

... a great sauce recipe that will go with it...

Them's some deep waters, Bubba.  I'm not much of a sauce guy but usually keep it moist with its own drippings and/or some apple juice.  If I've got it (and really like the people I'm feeding) I might serve Starne's alongside  Occasionally I'll make up a batch of vaunted vinegar (also on recipe site) or play around with something else but can't help you more than that.

Habanero Smoker

Many members will use the picnic for pulled pork, and will cook it like pulled pork. If you don't remove the skin and fat now, you will have to remove it after smoking, and you will loose all the smoke flavor. It is a leaner cut than the butt, and is not as tough, so for pulling you should start using the fork test around 180°F. That is the maximum I generally will take a shoulder is 185°F. The fork test is using a fork, and if it inserts easily it is good enough to slice, if you can insert it and twist it easily it is good to pull. As for seasoning, you can use what ever you like. Maybe start with your favorite pork seasoning.

When I cook picnics I like to slice them to serve. There are a couple of muscles that make up the picnic, so after they are cooked I separate the muscles prior to slicing. If slicing I will take them out anywhere from 165°F - 175°F. I prefer the muscle called the pork cushion. The pork cushion is the  muscle that is smaller and more tapered.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Snoopy

if you have the time to whip it up, like Ka Honu stated Jans Rub, Love this stuff. I've been injecting my butts with applejuice and jack danials mix and letting em sit, that along with Jans, i have yet to put a sauce on them after there done, so make sure you taste test before adding anything, they may be awesome as is. agree with times and temps posted as well.

Tiffin

Thanks for the replys so far. Should give me a good basis to try out my first set. As far as Jans rub goes i did whip up a batch maybe a month ago, tried a bunch on a few racks of ribs, some of my family loved it and i felt it was too salty, so i may try to whip up another batch with less salt. Tried it on a chicken but used it more sparingly rather than coated it and it was tasty.
Ive been thinking of picking up an injector, i may have to do that.

Since i have a big batch of jans still ill try one shoulder with that and one with more conservative seasoning and see one last time which i like better.

Ill try to remember to post pics and results when all is said and done.
Thanks again!
Tiffin
BDS4 unmodified

Snoopy

ive never tasted saltiness in mine that i recall, but i also spray the outside with the same injection while it's smoking maybe that takes away from it? i dunno, that's the joy of it all though is playing with it till you get that flavor you love, I feel extremely lucky that I figured my favorite out quick, like  within my first 2 butts, and have been sticking with it. good luck

tskeeter

The last batch of pork shoulder I did, I applied a heavy dose of Jan's, let marinate over night, then applied another heavy dose of Jan's just before the shoulder went into the smoker.  I, too, felt the bark pieces of meat were a bit salty.  For this weekends smoke, I'll limit the Jan's to a single heavy application.

Snoopy

that makes sense then, i cover well for the overnight and then just sprinkle a little on before smoke.

Ka Honu

I make/use a lot of Jan's Rub but also find it a bit salty for some uses (especially if I've brined) so I usually mix it using celery seed, onion powder, & granulated garlic instead of the salted versions.

Tiffin

Decided ill post my process step by step as every time i wait till the end i never end up doing it.

after trimmed (im a bit of an amateur there too)

Good coating of Jans rub.

So after everything i said about Jans rub and using lots of spices i decided to go with a good coating of Jans rub. I figure in this scenario the bark is such a small part of the meat that it should all mix in well together and i will end up with a good amount of spice.
We shall see!
Going to put it in the smoker at about 5pm tomorrow so it will be ready sometime before lunch or supper on saturday, im hoping anyway.
Ill post the pictures as they come,and share in my first success or failure with you all.

Tiffin
BDS4 unmodified

Snoopy

Best of luck, have the same trim issues myself, never know when I should stop or not, typically just get sick of trimming and that's my que.

rveal23

* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill